Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who says a 1 and a half year old cant build models?

So as I build my models, my son ALWAYS manges to get into my builds. Now, I have him just messing with some of my spare pieces to have him away from my important builds and at the same time he feels he doing models with me. Its a pretty cool sight.

IMG_2894.jpg

I had the same issue. When my son was 3 or 4, he wanted to help in the worst way! So I found a kit I didn't really have any interest in, and let him "paint" it with markers. When he was done, he helped me put it together. It sits in my display case, and even now (he's 8 now), he makes sure to show his buddies his car. He's into snap kits now, and my daughter is doing the marker car. Even she seems to like it!

My daughter built models with me from about 7 or 8 till about 12 or 13 when she fond out about boys. She's 34 now an laughs when she sees I've kept her models(NO plastic model is thrown away in my house!)for so long. But to me, shes still 10 and they are her latest projects. You will have some WONDERFUL memories with him! Just keep bolstering his talents. If he's like his Dad, He'll be OK!

Like George, no model is ever thrown out of my house. My daughter has her display in her place as do my sons who are both adults and also on their own.

Guys from StLouis and KC will remember my daughter for a long time. She attended all the KC Slammers shows with me for many years. She always brought a recently finished build which clearly surpassed her old man. It got so bad the guys would always ask if she would be attending, and would I be driving? I couldn't have been prouder.

She sent me a birthday card recently, and wrote how special it was for her growing up building models with the old man and travelling around.

Keep tossing parts at that boy. One day you'll turn around and his build will make you say "What?"

G