Model Cars Magazine Forum

i Pad or Droid tablet?

I am about to start another long term project and this may seem a weird question but here are the basics.

1. I have about 125 photos of the 1:1 car that I would like to have with me on the bench.

2. I was about to print them when the cost of paper and ink kind of hit me!

3. I have been considering a tablet for a while and it dawned on me that I could save the cost of paper and ink and load them on a tablet and it would save me the space of a large note book filled with photos(the 935 turned out to be a 3 inch binder).

4. I have a windows based PC

5. I don't need telephone connectivity and have a droid photo.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about which would be an optimal solution and if you have a tablet, do you use it for referance photos as descibed?

I have an iPad and I have used it once to look at reference photos as I painted a model. It works okay, but I usually just have a mental list of things I'm painting and how I want them to look.

I would guess that since you already have a Droid phone, you would get better use from a Droid tablet. Although they aren't in the same league as a Samsung tablet, the new Kindle and Nexus tablets are fantastic tools for a very decent price.

I don't do a lot of the things people do with Ipads, I'm mostly interested in handy websurfing device that will also work for reading pdfs and such. I have a Droid X phone which does these things, but the screen is a bit small for any extended reading. I have been looking at a Nexus 7 they are around $200 and seems to do what I need without making me pay a high price for features I'm not really interested in. It is not a replacement for the more capable tablets like Ipads, but if you are like me and just want a basic tablet it might work for you. It has a 7" screen so about 2x the size of most smart phones.

I had not thought about using it for photos at the bench, I really like that idea.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

iPad here. Picked up 3rd gen on launch day (pre-order) and absolutely love it. Fast, 4G, insane graphics, etc. Honestly, it depends on what you want to use it for because there is a large price gap from say a Kindle Fire HD $200.00 to mid level iPad with 4G $729.00. The larger screen of the iPad is fantastic for pictures and graphics. Zooming in is very nice on it. I also read some mags (the "other" modeling mag) and do so many other things on it. For me its great, but it comes down to how much you want to spend and would you get use out of it overall. If your used to Droid type phones perhaps a Droid tablet would be your best bet. I'm used to Apple so I stuck with what I know. I will say IMO that Apple products seem more stable, as in, less problematic than Droid stuff (just from hearing co-workers constantly complain about them). I never really see anyone I know complain about their iPhone or iPad.

Thanks for the info and opinion guys! I decided to go with a Samsung Galaxy Not 10.1 16GB. My resoning is this. I can conect directly to my PC and don't have to mess with the going through iTunes to up load pictures. It has a slot for microSD card and I can increase the memory up to 32 GB. It has an attachment that lets me use regular SD cards and thumb drives. Most of my cameras have SD card. Also very important, I was able to pick it up at Costco for $350 with a $50 leather carrying case included. Right now I am happy.

I have already downloaded 150 photos for my 956 build and the screen quality is exellent. I like being able to blow them up to see detail. It is small enough that it doesn't take up a lot of space for a 10" monitor and seems to fit in my shop rather well.

Thanks again for all who participated.

Thanks for the info and opinion guys! I decided to go with a Samsung Galaxy Not 10.1 16GB. My resoning is this. I can conect directly to my PC and don't have to mess with the going through iTunes to up load pictures. It has a slot for microSD card and I can increase the memory up to 32 GB. It has an attachment that lets me use regular SD cards and thumb drives. Most of my cameras have SD card. Also very important, I was able to pick it up at Costco for $350 with a $50 leather carrying case included. Right now I am happy.

I have already downloaded 150 photos for my 956 build and the screen quality is exellent. I like being able to blow them up to see detail. It is small enough that it doesn't take up a lot of space for a 10" monitor and seems to fit in my shop rather well.

Thanks again for all who participated.

Glad to see you got a tablet that suits your needs. You mentioned you can go up to a 32GB sd card. In case you weren't aware, Android devices are capable of handling the newer 64 GB Sd and micro sd cards as well.

However, I dont get why everyone talks about having to use itunes for transferring pics to the pc. I just open the dcim folder on my iphone through "my computer"

Edited by Skydime

Glad to see you got a tablet that suits your needs. You mentioned you can go up to a 32GB sd card. In case you weren't aware, Android devices are capable of handling the newer 64 GB Sd and micro sd cards as well.

However, I dont get why everyone talks about having to use itunes for transferring pics to the pc. I just open the dcim folder on my iphone through "my computer"

It is not the iphone that is the issue. I was told at the apple store by one of their reps that you had to go through iTunes to up load pictures to the iPad. I like the Samasung because I hook it up to my computer through a USB port and the computer reads it as another storage device. Makes transfer very quick and easy.