Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

Okay, so let's take "stupid" out of Duff's first sentence and run it again:

"Please tell me what other industry, service, or ANYTHING where the attitude of "We should just he be happy we're getting it at all!!!" exists in...name one...and GO!"

That becomes a lot more difficult to address, like it or not.

You go straight to the four-figure mower, Kerry, glossing right over the botched restaurant meal that's closer in expense. And to state the model's purpose as static display is to vastly oversimplify its reason for existence. Any paperweight or plaque or trophy or flower vase can just sit there in static display. What separates the model is that it's meant as a scale reproduction of something, meant to resemble that prototype as closely as possible. And what's constantly implied but never satisfactorily proven is how it makes you somehow less of a modeler to expect the base kit to do its job as well as possible.

There are plenty of modelers, fully capable of correcting kits, who'd sooner dedicate their considerable skills to enhancement rather than those corrections; but from the look of your rules, apparently they're not "real modelers". How does that make any sense?

And then there's another element that I've been playing with for a day or two, the notion of kit criticism as "trolling". And make no mistake, I'm flat-out grateful to have this pointed out to me, because it looks like the first tiny window into a mode of thought that's left me utterly bewildered for the better part of a decade.

If I understand the concept correctly, to troll a forum is to post content with no other purpose in mind than to agitate other forum members and create a ruckus. To call kit criticism "trolling" is to preclude the possibility that a member may be posting out of actual disappointment with the kit. Fact is, you can't read minds, and who knows - maybe there really are people who trash kits purely to get a rise out of other forum members.

But I think that kind of post will have a pretty distinct attitude about it, and to treat any harsh review as if it's trolling has little basis in reality. Post #293, page 15, for instance. Closest thing to an out-and-out diatribe in this thread, and I'll go so far as to say his post was rather more strident than I would've done, some of it maybe even premature. But I'll not presume to judge Roger's content as "trolling", and I'm certainly not to going to reference a totally unrelated thread about another kit to address anything I find questionable about his post.

Said it before, and I'll say it again: you look at it objectively, it's not really the criticism getting these threads closed. It's the people who from all appearances just can't get over the fact that KITS WILL BE CRITICIZED.

Note that I do NOT claim any of you who object to criticism are doing it for kicks. The outrage I see from some of you is palpable and genuine - I just fail to understand the first rational basis for it. And again, I ask: if you yourself didn't develop the kit, what is it to you?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I agree that the kit will no doubt be great, I have a fund set aside to purchase multiple copies. It's the rivet counter thing that bothers me. EVERYONE is a rivet counter, it's just where you draw the line on what to accept and what not to accept. Unless there ARE people who are perfectly content with Palmer kits. If a person had a Palmer kit, and wasn't driven to complain (assuming Palmer was still around), I don't know how much I could respect them as a modeler. The disagreement it seems is where to draw the line.

On that we will all NEVER agree. What bothers me may not bother you, etc. I don't know why this rivet counter thing keeps coming up. There's no way to prove an opinion, no way to resolve it.

Perhaps it's just venting. THAT I can understand.

In my mind we're ALL real modelers. For me this is a very solitary hobby. Without you guys I'd have no friends!

You know, the global, sorta meta joke about that sprawling repository blog I keep pimping is that the objections to kit criticism are all so incessantly repeated for the utter nonsense they express, that I might as well just gather all the obvious rebuttals and stockpile them to the side. There's a certain desperately unimaginative sameness to the objections and responses, so ya might as well just catalogue them instead of repeating them from thread to thread.

YOU, Sir, have come up with something profound and not seen 50,000 times before, and for that, I salute and applaud you.

Not denying it - but I would like to know how it's A N Y more supercilious than looking down your nose and essentially declaring that anyone who criticizes a kit is a lesser modeler because of it.

And the bloviating does pose a point or two. Wake me up when any of you has an actual rejoiinder.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I'm hoping Moebius goes back from here and gives us a '65-'66 tool with IFS and a '64 with I-beam front axle.

It all depends on how we vote with our wallets! Note that Moebius seems to listen to our demographic better than any other company ever has! I believe if we respond by buying the things we tell them we want, they will keep cranking them out!

As for the Ford pickups, I believe we will get a short wheelbase, a long wheelbase and a 4 wheel drive chassis. I know there's a V8 and a 6 coming as well. They will be doing the flat side pickups since the step side bed for this era is the same we have on the old AMT '53 Ford pickup. And they know we're smart enough to kit bash that one!

Tom,

You are correct about voting with the wallets and I sure hope you are on to something with the 4wd chassis! I, too, would love some more Ford Pickups, either mid 60s or mid 70s and would absolutely LOVE some GM pickups from 67-75! The Bronco from 66-77 would be nice too!

Not denying it - but I would like to know how it's A N Y more supercilious than looking down your nose and essentially declaring that anyone who criticizes a kit is a lesser modeler because of it.

And the bloviating does pose a point or two. Wake me up when any of you has an actual rejoiinder.

That's our cue, guys. Don't anyone wake him up! :P

Our last full-on dose of new pickup kits was when? 1999? 2001? I can't remember right now. While I agree that we're due again, new pickups are really not that interesting. Yes...yes...they're kinda interesting, but they're not "spend a million in new tooling to cover the main ones" interesting. So I don't see that rash coming on for a while. I think most would settle for a diecast that doesn't totally suck, that we could at least steal a cab/box from...but I wouldn't even hold my breath for that.

I'd slay things in a highly over-dramatic manner for an early Bronco. I keep just missing the far-too-infrequent listing of the Cheez Cast resin version on the bay. Some other guy built a master a couple years ago and posted the build over on Jeffs off-road forum, but he turned out to be a major tease...got it about ready to cast, then up n' awol'd. It looked pretty dang good, too. Really, really really want. The drag version doesn't cut it.

Anyway, since the thread has kinda come back down to earth for the most part, can we expect any new teasers soon, Dave? We're ready for a peek at...anything! lol.

Edited by Gluhead

It' be really nice if someone made a kit where it was various options for the truck. Like say a camper topper and tow package kit and then also have a like a Flatbed and multiple loads kit. Maybe not specifically for the Moebius kit, but have parts that can adapt to various kits.