Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

Our last full-on dose of new pickup kits was when? 1999? 2001? I can't remember right now. While I agree that we're due again, new pickups are really not that interesting. Yes...yes...they're kinda interesting, but they're not "spend a million in new tooling to cover the main ones" interesting. So I don't see that rash coming on for a while. I think most would settle for a diecast that doesn't totally suck, that we could at least steal a cab/box from...but I wouldn't even hold my breath for that.

I am just going say that I 100% disagree with you, but will leave it that .

Our last full-on dose of new pickup kits was when? 1999? 2001? I can't remember right now.

1999...Revell Silverado, Ford Lightning, and Harley-Davidson F-series. Most recent Ram is '93-94. It's unfortunate...would love to see some current pickups kitted, but I'm sure the head-in-the-sand/living in the past naysayer crowd that have no interest in anything modern would say that new truck kits wouldn't sell...

1999...Revell Silverado, Ford Lightning, and Harley-Davidson F-series. Most recent Ram is '93-94. It's unfortunate...would love to see some current pickups kitted, but I'm sure the head-in-the-sand/living in the past naysayer crowd that have no interest in anything modern would say that new truck kits wouldn't sell...

Well I will be a naysayer and go on the record as I would buy a lot more OLDER pickup kits than I would newer, just because they hold more appeal and building options for me. It has been discussed before but I believe that Revell 99 Silverado, in it's several different variations, was not much of a seller. I was a buyer of about 6 of them, but have twice as many of the AMT 72 Chevy pickups because of the types of trucks from that era I want to build.

Today's trucks come in three different cab configurations and whatever one the model company decides to do, there will be an outcry for the other two!

Um, they already did and do all the time someone mentions something from the last 30 years :lol:

So I dont look like I am completely against any thing old, I am going to buy one of each of the new Ford kits, and I would like to see some from the mid 70's to early 80s' as well

Edited by martinfan5

Um, they already did and do all the time someone mentions something from the last 30 years :lol:

So I dont look like I am completely against any thing old, I am going to buy one of each of the new Ford kits, and I would like to see some from the mid 70's to early 80s' as well

Yeah, I like old stuff also, esp. from the '70s. But the 'all old only' approach is not a long term business model for a model company... a company can't only make subjects aimed at the AARP crowd and hope to have a future.

Yeah, I like old stuff also, esp. from the '70s. But the 'all old only' approach is not a long term business model for a model company... a company can't only make subjects aimed at the AARP crowd and hope to have a future.

I wonder what the model companys have planned for when their current market base is gone, or not spending money on their kits anymore, what is going to happen?

I am just going say that I 100% disagree with you, but will leave it that .

That's okay, Mr. Stephens. Our opinions are rarely in sync, and trust that I lose absolutely no sleep over that. Thank the gods, though, that you were here to point out that you disagree. I'm not sure the forum could have stood wondering. ;) One of these days, though, you may want to consider un-wadding your panties about the fact that I like old cars and have no personal interest in new ones. Just because I don't like them myself, doesn't mean I don't recognize the need for the suppliers of our hobby to be diverse. Unless you'd care to form more of my opinions for me...in which case I can happily go back to simply ignoring you. :)

Thanks, Rob. I was pretty sure it was around then, but sometimes I find I've missed something that happened during those few years I was out of the loop.

And you're right, it is unfortunate. See, I'm not always against everything just because it's newer than I am. I'd like to see them as well. But I don't think the companies will spend the dough to give them to us. Not because it wouldn't be worth it to tool up a new truck kit...I have no doubt it would sell well. But, you can't just tool up one new truck kit, now can you? Ford would never stand for not being represented if Dodge or Chevrolet were, nor would either of the latter if the shoes were on the other foot (feet?). So that's where my naysayer comes out in full force...not because they're new, but because it'd be expensive as %@&*, and while trucks are 'bout near always cool the new ones are not cool enough to overcome the bean-counters sphincter tightness.

A new '56 tool would be great, but I don't see that happening for the same reason. We have one, long in tooth or not, and while I agree it's a fantastic design, it's no '63-'64 Impala, tri-five Chevy, or '57 Ford.

Anyway, Ford bumpsides are cool. I wants one. Or five.

I hope that Moebius makes a nicely detailed 1956 F-100, the Revell kit is a little long in the tooth.... B)

The Revell 1956 F-100 is 51 years old ! Its premiere was in 1962 or so . I can't believe that the thing is that old already !

amts 53 f100 is way better, dang the 53f100 flipnose is better then the revell's 56''

I've always loved the old AMT 1953 F-100 ! It's equally as old as the Revell '56 ! My favourite aspects of the AMT '53 kit :

- Stock parts (last model year of the L-head V8)

- DeSoto Firedome Hemi (with two induction options !)

- Nice chassis / frame (especially given the kit's origins / year of release !)

- All of those sweet , vintage grilles and custom parts

I'll toss my hat into the "1953-1956 F-100 Kit" ring by stating that 1955 is my fave year of the 50's F-Series . Too bad that the Monogram kit is such a horrid pile ...

Edited by 1972coronet

Maybe the intro of these quite welcome F-100 kits will be the impetus for Round2 to backdate the 1979 F-350 4-wheel-drive (Model King's last release) to the Star Truk-era of 'Camper Special' annuals !

John,

In that Model King kit is the 2wd front suspension and an earlier grille (75-77, IIRC) is available from Bandit Resins. It would be nice to see that truck again or for that matter, any truck kits! Considering the underpinnings are similar between the 1:1 Ford trucks from that era, maybe Mobeius will surprise us with something from 73-39?

As they say in the news biz, stay tuned for more details! Quite possible that something could come out at the iHobby show in October.

Anybody have any insight as to why amt went with the oddball super c/s over the regular wheelbase truck that most guys can relate to?

mike

I always wondered that as well! I always hated how that rear wheel opening was so far back.

Anybody have any insight as to why amt went with the oddball super c/s over the regular wheelbase truck that most guys can relate to?

Anyone's guess! I'm surprised nobody has cast a correct bed for it. I'd buy one for sure! But you can always cut down the wheel base and add the step side bed from the AMT '53 Ford kit. Ford used that bed all the way through the 1970s with minor modifications.

e1_3-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger

The top-rail was flattened out in 76 or 77. I remember a friend of mine had the last year step-side with the angled sides.

I think the only change from the fifties style bed was that the top rail was flattened out at some point instead of having the angled rail from the fifties model. But this article in Hemmings seems to suggest that the angled rails were still used in 1971.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/01/28/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1971-ford-f-250/

Edited by dh1908

Tom's picture shows the box used on the 77-79 trucks and on the 80-86 trucks with a fender change. The flared top ended on the first series of box in 72 and when they reissued the shortbox in 76 (basing it on the wider long flareside box) it still had the flared top but had the taller sides of the 8' flareside. These were flattened for 77. How I found this out was through my purchase of a short 76 f100 frame with the original box still attached.

mike

Edited by mk11

Tom, I guess I should send pictures of my 78. It's original almost to the Wimbelton White . Currently, it only has 78,000 on the clock . I had to break down over the week end and buy another seat for it . The original seat was really bad when I bought it several years back. Between finding someone wanting to re cover it and buying a Mint seat out of a low milage 91 for 20.00, the new seat won out .............

Anyone's guess! I'm surprised nobody has cast a correct bed for it. I'd buy one for sure! But you can always cut down the wheel base and add the step side bed from the AMT '53 Ford kit. Ford used that bed all the way through the 1970s with minor modifications.

e1_3-vi.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Repstock/library/Ford%20pickup%20standard%20wheelbase%20bed?sort=6&page=1

Here's how I handled it. I still have to make inner bed walls. Maybe somebody would want to cast these....

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Repstock/library/Ford%20pickup%20standard%20wheelbase%20bed?sort=6&page=1

Here's how I handled it. I still have to make inner bed walls. Maybe somebody would want to cast these....

I believe someone like RMR would jump at casting this bed. I don't know when AMT will be releasing it again, but your bed would also work on the original issue kits as well. The only wrinkle is what may be coming in the Mobius kits. Would they be doing this bed?

Edited by Tom Geiger