Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coilover question

Ive built a set of functional coilovers that I cant figure out a way to keep them together and still make them work. I used a tube and rod assembly with a spring just like a real coilover. The issue is, the rod comes out of the tube at full extension. If I glue it, they no longer work. So how do I fix them together without compromising the function? Ive brainstormed on this and just cant come up with anything that works.

Maybe kinda like 1:1? A retainer on the end of the rod, larger than the rod but smaller than the hole the rod runs through, installed before the cap goes on the other end of the tube.

Or glue the ends of the springs to the seats on either end. Shock will still work, but springs will keep it from coming apart at full extension.

To build them where they won't fall apart you need three sizes of tubing that all fit inside each other. First, take the biggest and smallest tubes and decided how long your part needs to be. Once that is found you take the middle size tube and cut two thin rings out of it. One ring goes at the top of the small tube and the other goes at the bottom of the big tube, super glue them in so they can't come out. Now when everything is dry you can drop the small tube through the top of the big tube and the rings won't allow the small tube to fall out. Add your spring and complete as normal.

To build them where they won't fall apart you need three sizes of tubing that all fit inside each other. First, take the biggest and smallest tubes and decided how long your part needs to be. Once that is found you take the middle size tube and cut two thin rings out of it. One ring goes at the top of the small tube and the other goes at the bottom of the big tube, super glue them in so they can't come out. Now when everything is dry you can drop the small tube through the top of the big tube and the rings won't allow the small tube to fall out. Add your spring and complete as normal.

Sounds simple and I can just mod it off my basic design. My try that tonight.