Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth projects-Fun with decal paper

All you need is a $5000.00 graphics program and 37 years experience! Just kidding, but for the sake of those making & sellind decals, I won't give the secret away. However websites such as decalpaper.com has the instructions and the materials. I will tell you that after a lot of trail and error, 5/8" tall x 1'' wide seems to real well. Design & print a whole sheet or else you lose a lot of material. Just gives the models a little more realism. Have fun!!!!

All you need is a $5000.00 graphics program and 37 years experience! Just kidding, but for the sake of those making & sellind decals, I won't give the secret away. However websites such as decalpaper.com has the instructions and the materials. I will tell you that after a lot of trail and error, 5/8" tall x 1'' wide seems to real well. Design & print a whole sheet or else you lose a lot of material. Just gives the models a little more realism. Have fun!!!!

You forgot about the $20,000 printer!!!!! I can relate......lots of trial & error. If everyone starts making decals, I will be out of business!!!!!

So either you buy the program and that 20000$ printer... Or you make your own with plain white or transparent decal paper. You're not out of the woods yet, cause you cannot reproduce metallic colors such as silver or gold. You can't reproduce pale colors or white (there is no white ink, duh...) on tranparent unless you are applying the decal on a white surface. BUT, it does a fairly nice job on most applications. You have to think it out some before producing anything. Colored stripes on transparent does a nice job of replicating a "candy apple" effect over metallic paints, by the way. Oh, and don't forget to seal the ink on that decal with a clearcoat some time before dipping it in water... Trial and error, like Larry and Jerry said. But it's nice to say I did it myself.

Your right, and I was not getting into how to make decals, because it can be time consuming and fairly expensive by the time you get it right! What i was trying to show is that we strive to build correct models and to be a correct working truck, they need to identification on the doors. I see decals for big trucking companies, but what about the replica of your friends truck at ABC TRUCKING that only owns 1or 2. The decals on these trucks are people I did 1:1's for years ago and still had in the computer. Just thought it would be fun to show what could be done to add realism to the trucks. Trying to hide the fact I can't do airlines, etc.

Edited by signguy2108

Your right, and I was not getting into how to make decals, because it can be time consuming and fairly expensive by the time you get it right! What i was trying to show is that we strive to build correct models and to be a correct working truck, they need to identification on the doors. I see decals for big trucking companies, but what about the replica of your friends truck at ABC TRUCKING that only owns 1or 2. The decals on these trucks are people I did 1:1's for years ago and still had in the computer. Just thought it would be fun to show what could be done to add realism to the trucks. Trying to hide the fact I can't do airlines, etc.

Well the ones you're showing at the top look great. They do add to the working truck look.

You didn't step on my toes. Some people are happy doing the inkjet decals, which can be timeconsuming in itself, considering the curing times for the ink and the clearcoat. A lot of people don't realize just how much does go into creating the artwork for some of the decals on the market today. I know for myself, I can spend as little as an hour putting a simple text decal together on up to several weeks working on a complete truck & trailer set. Anyone in the graphics business knows what I'm talking about.

I originally started out doing inkjet, now everything is done on my ALPS printers.

I want to try my hand at making my own decals here shortly. I am well versed at Adobe Photoshop so should be able to handle that side pretty well.

My question is: color laser or inkjet? Seems like a no-brainer (laser) but figured I'd ask to see if any gotchas. I have access to a high-end color laser at work in our marketing department and thinking that's going to be my best bet but any advice between the two would be great.

I've made my own Ink Jet decals with BMF's paper. Not bad for dark text, but colors tend to look grainy, no light colors and no silver or white, so basically black, green, blue and brown. I never seem to get the BMF paper to lay flat at the edges, battling with it constantly. It is much easier to buy from the decal guys when I want the logo done right.

Tim

I've done a few decals myself. In order to save expensive decal paper I first print out the image on a piece of white paper. Then I cut a piece of decal paper large enough to cover the image along with enough to tape it down on the white paper with cellophane tape. Then the whole thing goes back into the printer to be printed again on the decal sheet. You just have to make sure the edge of the tape is far enough away from where the image is so that the printing doesn't end up on the tape itself.