Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967-1972 Ford F-Series Walkaround...

I know I posted a similar thread a while back but, with the announcement of the Moebius Models F-sereis, I thought it'd be a good idea to start an info thread on these trucks. Please, if you have info and pics on these trucks, feel free to post it here! This is not just 'my thread' it's open to anyone with relevant information!

OK, to start: 1968 F-100 longbed, 360 three on the column, base model. 36,000 original miles... I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

2v84lc3.jpg

x1d64h.jpg

2nree06.jpg

23msjt4.jpg

29cuqfo.jpg

Note the differences in dash detail between a base model truck (Top) and a Ranger/ Custom Cab (Below)...

2hi421h.jpg

2e3bktu.jpg

Also, door panels:

Base model:

5ur60k.jpg

Explorer, Custom Cab:

A little worse for wear but you get the general idea...

2gump1j.jpg

Edited by Wagoneer81

Now, we cover the differences between grilles... This is really the only way to tell these years apart and if somebody used a diferent year grille in their truck.... You're only resort is to check the registration... :rolleyes:

Also, I pulled these next six pics off of the 'Net. I don't claim ownership to any of them. I use them for information purposes only.

The painted grilles were stamped from steel, the polished grilles were stamped from aluminum...

These are the stamped metal equipped trucks...

1967: Six even bars.

24fe935.jpg

1968: Notice the toolbox cut into the bed side... a neat option in the Explorer model. Dad's old '72 has this option., it also has a tool tray mounted above the gas tank, behind the seat.

675q94.jpg

1969:

22mg3.jpg

Edited by Wagoneer81

In 1970, Ford started using injection molded plastic, break-away inserts in a stamped stainless frame. The frame was the same for the three years. Four screws per side changed the inserts. The inserts were interchangable between the three years.

1970: Even grid.

2czen8j.jpg

1971: six sections per side.

2z7k0nc.jpg

1972: Four sections per side.

ladg0.jpg

As you can see, I have a deep love for these trucks! My earliest memory is of riding in Dad's old '70 model... I was just three years old... I've loved these truck ever since.

---If anybody has any additional information or pictures, or if I have mis-identified something, please correct me. My goal if to provide ACCURATE information and, knowing that I'm not perfect, my ego can easily tolerate a few corrections.

Edited by Wagoneer81

Nice, complete, and comprehensive!

Just because I can, here's a '72 I almost bought a couple of years ago. Didn't think I'd like the gas bill driving it 45 miles round trip to my then-employer five times a week. Still, kinda wish I'd bought it now...

fordtrucks004-vi.jpg

No rust through other than what's visible on the fenders, and very few dings and dents. It had the 390/Automatic, practically no options other than the camper package, and was two-wheel drive -=that last one was another reason I talked myself out of buying it

Edited by Michigan Madman

Not sure what year this one is, but it looks like it's within the correct year range. This one's now a 3' cube, and it had a slide in camper in the bed, so all I have a cab and in-cab detail shots, but it appears to be an F-350 Sport Custom?

Album with large pics: http://smg.photobuck...kups/?start=all

Parts052.jpg

You know you're gonna add full heater box detail!:

Parts029.jpg

Parts049.jpg

Casey, looks like a '70 model. Thanks for the heater box pic... That thing took a HARD hit on that left front... What exactly did it tangle with?

Chuck, nice truck, lotta potential there... Even with a 2wd, a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the bed made a world of difference in handling on snow and ice...

Edited by Wagoneer81

Ohh, Chuck.... That's a heartbreaker.... I hope your Great Uncle came out of that one ok! I see the cab is undamaged and the windshield isn't sprung... I know from experience that these old beasts could take a pretty hard hit and still protect the occupants quite well.

Back in the day, I'd seen more than one that looked like this go through Dad's shop. He worked in the dealerships during the day and spent evening and weekends working on customer jobs in his garage at home... remove the damage, pull the frame if it was needed, replace what was bad, paint it and send it on its way... He did a lot of insurance jobs and had a lot of happy customers.

Edited by Wagoneer81

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of those south american variations are interesting. As was mentioned before, check out fordification.com for the best info on these trucks... they've even got pics of the right hand drive australian fords on there

mike

can't forget the Mercurys either... http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35331

67mercfs

Edited by mk11

• 4 months later...