Model Cars Magazine Forum

rat rod

I wanted to go off into a build territory that i have never done before. i am really interested in building a model a copped rat rod but dont know where to start. while i found some jimmy flinstone bodies that may work, do i need to scratch the chassis or can something pre existing be used. i have searched to see if someone had a drawn plan to go off of but i had no luck. i want to slam it and kind of follow a drag theme to it. kind of like this

post-9105-0-36770500-1349808227_thumb.jp

Edited by dragcavy

The thing with rat-rods is there really is no particular way to build one.....anything goes. In 1:1, a lot of the cars don't apparently get planned at all judging from the results; parts just get welded together with no concern as to function, design or safety until something like a chimpanzee's representation of a car emerges.

On the other hand, and what you're wanting to build (I assume from looking at your reference photo) more and more of them are getting put together with safe welds, brakes that work, engines that don't overheat, etc., and a concern for proportion and style.

To get the stance you're after, a lot of the better ones have radically zeed frames. The object is to lower the center of the frame and therefore the body, relative to the ends of the frame and the axles / suspension. Here's a Q&D tutorial I did on zeeing at the neighbor's site a couple of years ago. It's applicable in principle to most any frame you should choose.

http://cs.scaleautom...10/t/94528.aspx

....and here's a recent thread on this forum about various front suspension designs appropriate for a rat, plus some differing approaches to frames.....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64258&hl=

Edited by Ace-Garageguy