Model Cars Magazine Forum

got 1977 gmc snowplow ?hydraulic hoses

i got the 77 chevy gmc snow plow today and looked it over . the plow needed to have hydraulic lines so i googled western snow plows the pump i think is run by an electric motor so i think there should be power cables running from the pump motor to the battery?.anyway heres a couple reference pictures showing the hydro lines and the inside cab control . if anybody knows the correct way please let me know also is the chain factory or did somebody invent it :Dpost-9279-0-83546400-1349838057_thumb.jppost-9279-0-11937500-1349838079_thumb.jpthanks fo looking

Maynard,

Not sure where in Illinois you are located but there should be a truck with a plow nearby that you can look at to get a better idea of what you will need to do to get a good representation.

To answer some of your questions:

1. The chain is factory installed on Western Plows and a decent replica can be found in the jewelry section of a Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

2. The hydraulic lines can be replicated using some black colored wire or small diameter hose. The lines should run from the two power rams or hydraulic cylinders to the pump assembly that is on the front of the truck.

3. The control cables would run from the pump/motor assembly on the front of the truck to the floor or dash mounted control box.

4. The control box is about 4 inch square in 1:1 size and a smaller shifter would be close in size to replicate one. Older control boxes were red with T handles and newer ones (like the picture in your post) were black with a more rounded type handle.

If you want to further add realism to the plow assembly, it is missing the skid shoes on each end of the blade. These were installed to raise the plow up slightly to keep the wear bar on the bottom of the plows from wearing out prematurely. A simple search should yield a quality picture from which to build them.

I need to get my butt in gear and get my plows built and you have given me some ideas for added details.

I will be ordering some more resin cinder blocks from Danny at Scenes Unlimited to put in the bed of one of the trucks I am building. I also have a couple of engine blocks from the AMT '66 Nova that will be weathered and tossed in the back of another one.

If you are adding the hydraulic lines and cables, make sure you add the wires from the lights too.

I may try my hand at making a tailgate mounted salt spreader, just depends on time.