Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Olds - Root Beer Float

Gluhead

DID YOU ADD TO THE FRONT SPINDLES TO LOWER IT? LOOKS LIKE YOU DID BUT HARD TO SEE. ALSO CUT MY BACK AND WAS A EASY JOB GOT MINE SITTING LOW IN REAR JUST GOT TO GET THE FRONT FINISHED!

Hey Tom...Yeah, I added about 3/16" to them and redrilled an 1/8" higher. I see you've already got yours sorted out...can't wait to see it all finished up. I ended up making new ones, though, and bringing the front back up just a bit. It was sitting too street machine for the rest of the style. Looks a lot better on this one leveled out to only a slight nose down rake. :)

Where'd you pick your Olds up from? Don't say Ed... apparently his supplier isn't getting them for another month. :D

Toe lee doh! My brother and his wife, and my son and I ended up deciding to go at the last minute. I got this and a couple sets of truck tires/wheels from Modelhaus, plus another set of truck wheels from Missing Link. That is by far the least I have ever bought at that swap...but I couldn't wait to get my hands on this kit. :D

Edited by Gluhead

Well come on then let's see the colour!!!

Haha Hey I'm taking my sweet time! Actually, I'm just starting from the bottom up instead of top down like you. heheh.

I love the nose down attitude, with the wheels...Perfect!!

And why not use the 303 ? I'm sure you can make the hood hinges scale......

Sure. Hinges would be no sweat. I just think it'd be a waste to hide this mill in a full bay. I don't display them with the hoods up anyway. I've already got a Model A project that'll be able to show it off proper.

Chassis is all painted up but I need to tone the floor pan down and repaint a few pieces that I mangled up in the process of raising the front back up a little...I'll post those pics tomorrow when it's all looking good again. :P

In the meantime, I jumped in on the cabin. I often don't prime interior parts...especially when there's good delicate engraving...so I didn't notice the sinkers on the arm rests until I got the first base coat on. That won't do at all, and I'd wished they were separate anyway to make it easier to do a little treatment on those cove areas...so off they came.

1950_Olds_Interior_01-vi.jpg

1950_Olds_Interior_02-vi.jpg

Tamiya Gold base with a custom mixed Sand and Copper for the inserts and windlace...

1950_Olds_Interior_03-vi.jpg

Body color brought in on the dash and door trim...

1950_Olds_Interior_04-vi.jpg

1950_Olds_Interior_05-vi.jpg

Time for my favorite part. Foil! Yeah, it really is my favorite part. :D