Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Olds - Root Beer Float

Gluhead

Toe lee doh! My brother and his wife, and my son and I ended up deciding to go at the last minute. I got this and a couple sets of truck tires/wheels from Modelhaus, plus another set of truck wheels from Missing Link. That is by far the least I have ever bought at that swap...but I couldn't wait to get my hands on this kit. :D

Thought so. Maybe I'll be able to make it out next year. No worries- I've got a couple of these reserved, and a plan B and C if that doesn't pan out.

It's a great kit. I need at least 2 more to cover the variations I'd like to do, but it's not in the budget so it'll have to wait a bit. The show was decent. We got there a little late and ended up leaving way too early. I was having a pretty rough time after the drive and was stuck in the chair the whole time, but it was worth it if for no other reason than to see a few old model buds again.

One thing about the dash decals - the speedo is too large for the cavity. I had to trim into the image by a good bit on the bottom, including cutting into the lower arch. It'd have been better if I were able to split the difference top and bottom, but the upper arch was dead on. It is what it is...still looks pretty good, I s'pose.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, guys. Hard to believe I haven't worked on this one for a month now. I got distracted by the brick display thing, but that's almost finished so I'll be back on this very soon.

Tom, it's getting One Coat Root Beer, same as the upper trim on the doors and dash...but I'm still debating on what I'll use, specifically, for the creamy roof. I've tried a couple spoon tests of what I have on hand and they don't quite got the right juju. I'll find the right one eventually. :)

If you're open to ideas, Chris, I have one.

Chrysler until a year or two ago, offered a color called "Cool Vanilla," which is a nice off-white/cream/yellow cast, and looks very similar to the white on a head of root beer. You might want to look into that.

Another idea might be your preferred source of Wimbledon White, which has a cream cast to it.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates on my projects lately. I'm lacking a heated space where I can paint, so it's hard to make big visual progress during the worst months of winter. I keep picking away at things, just not much picture-worthy. But I've finished up a few things on this one now that it makes sense to show it off a bit. :)

Lost the rear quarter side and rocker trim to clean things up, finished out removal of all the mold lines and minor sinkers, and built a visor out of polished printing plate and styrene. It's all but ready to prime and paint, but that'll have to wait for some warmer weather.

1950_Olds_Visor_03-vi.jpg

1950_Olds_Visor_02-vi.jpg

1950_Olds_Visor_01-vi.jpg

Oh, and Charlie...I did find a creamy metallic that goes just right with the root beer. It's Krylon Blonde Shimmer. Prob'ly not that much different than the Cool Vanilla although maybe a touch more tan. Can't wait for paint day...if the spoon tests are any indication, this thing will look real yummy. :P

Thanks, guys...glad you like where it's headed.

I've mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm saving the engine for a hot rod. Can't leave the bay empty, so I've been picking away at this sbc...just a simple, reliable mill with a bunch of fins thrown at it. Works for me. :P

The valve covers are unknown parts box pieces. They're too shallow as is to look right, so I'm making them taller. In this pic, the drivers side has been re-worked and the passenger side is untouched. Any guesses what the air cleaner started out as?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a nice small Rochester 2bbl in my stash. If anyone knows a good kit to steal one from, or possibly has an extra laying around, please let me know. A big carb on this thing would be a joke...it needs a normal sized squirter.

SBC_Finned_01-vi.jpg

Man I wish I paid more attention to this build before I lowered mine, yours took more work, but was the smarter way to do it. Always next time though right?

I think I stole the smaller carb outta my revell 64 impala kit, I'm sure it's not perfect for accuracy, but the size was right, and is pretty convincing under the air cleaner I'm using.

• 2 months later...