Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making a tired faded paint job

So.. I am working on a 79ish camaro which is going to be a low buck bracket racer. The look I am going for with the front is new replacement parts in the black epoxy coat of new fenders, the hood will be a totally different color with Z-28 decals, as though it was picked from a junk yard, and the rest of the body is to depict a base model (presumably hit in the front at some point) I painted the body Burgundy, which was a factory color. The paint job came out better than expected. What is a good way to make it look faded and tired, as though this car was a 25 year old survivor? Ideas? The roof had some paint boogers so I was thinking of some gray paint to look like a primered spot

Thanks

photo-vi.jpg

If there is primer under the paint, and assuming that you don't want the paint shiny, I'd wet sand it with 1000# and in some places taking it barely down to the primer where you want it. Use discression here, small spots and in the right places. Now normally, fading works from the top down, so, look down from the roof and sand what you see. What you don't see...along the sides...shoot that with a light coat of satin clear. This should give you a pretty close approximation of a faded paint job without any shine. If you still want a little shine and not so flat, you might try a semi gloss clear...NOT satin. There's a difference, Im sure you know. The satin will make the paint look flat, like primer, the semi gloss with still leave it with a little almost shine, not flat.