Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldsmobile Engine Green (for the Revell '50 Olds Coupe)

After reading quite a thread about what to use for the green color of a factory stock '50 Olds, I did some looking beyond the usual suspect paint lines and colors.

Having started using Humbrol paints for things like interiors and underpinnings, I went to the Hornby Humbrol website, searched out gloss colors, and decided to stick my neck out, order their #3 Brunswick Green gloss enamel (comes in a 14ml tinlet)

Well, it came today--and WOW! It's just so close to the dark green engine color that shows up in pics of those early Olds V8's as to be uncanny! So, that is my recommendation.

Art

Humbrol makes some wonderful enamels, including a few candies and metalizer-type paints. Unlike a martini, they prefer to be (well) stirred, not shaken, for best results. ;)

If memory serves, they're a British company, so generally only larger, more well-stocked hobby shops carry them in the US. If you can't get them locally, here are the two sources I use:

www.redfroghobbies.com/

http://www.hobbylinc.com/ (They're listed as Airfix paints on here.)

Have you guys checked out Testors Model Master TES1764 FS34092 European Green?

I have, and unfortunately it's a flat finish color, fine for USAF Euro camouflage, but consider that automotive engine colors are almost always glossy colors, it just isn't that correct. That's why I went looking at Humbrol. Even the Humbrol color chip online shows Brunswick Green to be lighter than it actually is (Humbrol paints the lids of their tinlets with the same exact color as contained in the tinlet in question) I find that color to be oh-so-close, and yes, Humbrol paints can be difficult to find in many cities--but it is most definitely available online.

Art

Might be a bit late, and the cost and quantity of the paint offered here may be a bit too much, but there is a website that sells quarts of Oldsmobile Engine Green paint at the following URL: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART

You could also try http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ and e-mail them and see if they could mix the proper paint color for you. This place generally deals in body paint, but after talking with them over the phone and via e-mail they stated that they can provide pretty much any type of paint (Engine, Interior, Body) for any year of car. Just tell them what you need. I love this place and feel like a sales rep every time I recommend them to people, but the product is well worth the cost.