Model Cars Magazine Forum

Offy Midget Racer

Mach1revo

Here is my Revell Midget racer I built last year. It was built box stock except for i added plug wires and gauge wires. This is a great kit and had alot of fun building it. The color is Duplicolor Perfect match intense blue pearl cleared with their clear. I did strip all the kit chrome and resprayed with krylon matte aluminum.

20121014_163805.jpg

20121014_163737.jpg

I see i forgot the trailer hubcaps......lol

Good question. I stripped the chrome because i didnt like the kit chrome and found it easier to sub assemble the suspension the repaint as a whole. I just did a quick google search and it seems that some look chromed and some look brushed. The color i used is called matte aluminum. I also used in for the deck of the trailer so its pretty shiny if you ask me. I find it represents polished aluminum pretty well. This was done by spray can as i didnt have a airbrush yet. Funny thing is i do now and still tend to spray bomb.

I don't know much (if anything) about these types of cars, but aren't the parts you stripped and painted matte aluminum really chrome plated on the real cars? Just wondering why you would paint all the "chrome" parts a matte aluminum.

No doubt the flashier, better-funded cars had chromed suspension parts, but, as the hairpins, steering linkage, axles, grille-guard etc. were steel, it wasn't unusual to see it painted on some of the lower-buck cars...sometimes painted silver.