Model Cars Magazine Forum

Space Skydive.

Pretty cool.

I'm sure he had a lot to do during the ascent . ,,,,,,,but I wonder what was going thru his mind on the way up.

Because irregardless of the details . Once it left the ground there was only one way back down,,,, good or bad

I wonder where the balloon will come back down at, as I'm sure it's being tracked.

I'd been following it last week during the aborted attempts so I was thrilled to see Discovery cover it live. I watched all of it. Made for two hours of dull TV with ten minutes of action, but for air & space nerds like me I was riveted through the whole thing. Yeah, I watch NASA TV too on public service channels which is dry as toast but I love it. Congratulations Felix! (glad I didn't watch you die on live TV).

Pretty cool.

I'm sure he had a lot to do during the ascent . ,,,,,,,but I wonder what was going thru his mind on the way up.

Because irregardless of the details . Once it left the ground there was only one way back down,,,, good or bad

I wonder where the balloon will come back down at, as I'm sure it's being tracked.

Being he is claustrophobic going up was probably worse than the thought of jumping! :lol:

It was pretty cool being able to see the curvature of the Earth from some of the footage from the capsule (and the darkness of space beyond). Though that will probably freak out the Flat Earth Society crowd.

Not necessarily, because this jump, like the "moon landing," was all faked! :lol:

I'd be interested to watch a feed of the control base during the free-fall. Because you know no matter how much they planned, plotted, practiced and had contingencies once he got up there and stepped off that platform if something went wrong he was taking a 24 mile plunge into the ground at 800MPH. There has to be a point when worry, second guessing, and "edge of your seat" adrenaline turned into a "Holy heck I think we're going to pull this off, this is REALLY going to WORK"...on the video at the beginning of the thread you can see everyone in the control room lose it when he sticks that landing, and still that part amuses me, after you fall 24 miles I'd give it to you if your landing isn't graceful, but it was like he was just doing some local skydiving, no biggie.

Not necessarily, because this jump, like the "moon landing," was all faked! :lol:

It was all done with CGi... B)

When this chap broken the Sound Barrier his heart rate was lower than someone who has just been out for a jog... :blink:

I'm with George though, NASA have learn't so much with this, you never know it may save Astronauts lives in the future...