Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bigfoot 20.............this could be brain shattering!

It's going to be ELECTRIC :o

http://www.bigfoot4x4.com/2012/1015_odyssey.html

READING, Pa. (Oct. 15, 2012) – EnerSys® will debut the ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT No. 20 Monster Truck, the world's first electric monster truck manufactured by BIGFOOT 4x4, Inc., at the SEMA Show at 2 p.m. PDT on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, at ODYSSEY® battery Booth 24967 in Central Hall. The SEMA Show will run from Oct. 30 through Nov. 2, 2012 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

ODYSSEY® batteries by EnerSys, a primary sponsor of the 2012 BIGFOOT 4x4, Inc. monster truck team, provided 36 ODYSSEY® PC1200 batteries to power the ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT No. 20 Monster Truck. The new truck will be under a tarp at the ODYSSEY® battery booth until its unveiling on Tuesday.

The ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT® No. 20 Monster Truck carries a custom-designed 2012 fiberglass body and includes a battery-powered electric motor, which was designed and built by Dennis Berube of Phoenix to wield high-horsepower and high-RPM capabilities. Three banks of 10 ODYSSEY® batteries will power the engine for a total of 360 Volts. The additional six ODYSSEY® batteries will power the brakes and steering systems. Other custom features include onboard battery chargers and variable-speed programmable speed controller.

Each of the 36 ODYSSEY® PC1200 batteries that power the ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT® No. 20 Monster Truck weighs 38.2 pounds, but provides 1,200 five-second pulse hot cranking amps (PHCA), as well as 540 cold-cranking amps (CCA), 78 minutes of reserve capacity and 400 cycles of deep cycle capability at 80 percent depth of discharge (DOD).

"We've been sponsoring BIGFOOT® monster trucks for almost 10 years," said Dave McMullen, director of commercial marketing for specialty and UPS markets at EnerSys®. "The punishing conditions of a monster truck race are a perfect demonstration of ODYSSEY® batteries at their rugged best. We are particularly excited to be part of the world's first battery-powered monster truck, and are proud of BIGFOOT 4X4, Inc.'s confidence in our batteries that they play such a crucial role in the truck's performance."

"ODYSSEY® batteries have helped our team to win more than 20 monster truck championships," said Jim Kramer, vice president of research, technology and driver development of BIGFOOT 4X4, Inc. "We're happy to have ODYSSEY® batteries as a partner in the development of the ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT No. 20 Monster Truck. Developing a custom electric monster truck is part of our efforts to keep up with ever-changing technology. For now, the ODYSSEY® Battery BIGFOOT® No. 20 Monster Truck will be used in static displays and parades, but as we become more experienced with the electric power unit, battery maintenance, controller adjustments, drive lines and weather, our fans may just see it perform car crushes or even compete in monster truck shows."

And if anybody can pull this off in the Monster Truck world......I believe Bob Chandler's boys can B)

It will be interesting to see if they actually compete with the battery truck or if it's just a concept build. The runs are so short and the trucks are mandated to weigh a minimum of 10,000 pounds so carrying 36 giant batteries isn't really a big deal. I hope they don't try to use this vehicle to promote electric cars, the two really aren't remotely comparable.

Edited by Fat Brian

I think it's sad how some people only care about how fast they can go, how much torque they can produce and winning is everything. Some things should just stay the way they are. The roar or that big supercharged engine is half the fun of watching these trucks!!! Most likely this new electric truck will be pretty quiet. I wouldn't pay to see that. Reminds me of the guys putting the diesel engines in cars like the Buick Grand National. That's just WRONG!!!!!!!!!! My buddy is trying so hard to get me to put an LS motor in my 69 Camaro. He keeps telling me about alll the horsepower they make with very little modifications. If my sole intention was winning races, I'd consider it but to me, part of what's cool about a 60's muscle car is the hard loping cam of a small block or a big block and the sound they make at all RPMs.

I just hope it doesn't go any farther then the sponsor dropping a lot of coin to say "see"

It probably won't, unless the other AGM battery manufactrures decide they want in on the action. I'll almost bet that JCI/Optima will get together with one of the teams to build a truck as soon as they hear about this.

If all they want is the power to move something from point a to point b, .. (as long as they aren't to far apart) then let them have the electric car.

But all this electric power is really killing the romance of motor sports. From the spectator to the pit crew.

I'm waiting for the day NASCAR will power up the track and run 220 to all the cars like bumper cars.

Wait isn't the point of a monster truck to be a big heavy,gas guzzling, smoke spewing, compact car crushing machine?The only thing that would be good and have "Monster truck" and "Electric powered" in the same sentece would be them using Pr-i (Plural form of prius) instead of junkers for the jumps. :P

Just an R&D thing to me . To show the military they can power something that is that heavy with battery's .

Most of the weight, if not half, is unsprung weight, being the wheels tires. Next are the axles. It doest take much power to get a planetary axle moving (don't those come from military vehicles?)

I thinks it's just a gimmick, but I hope it passes.

Take to much time away from real evolution.

Edited by moparmagiclives

Considering the brutal low end torque you can get out of a good electric motor combined with the right batteries, it should accelerate violently and have no problem pulling stuff!

That's where I disagree joe, the tourqe curve ramps right up, but the hp drops like a home sick rock, unless it can get it rolling right away, I don't see anything surviving very long. To much resistance and heat. That thing would have to be geared so low, I couldn't imagine the voltage needed to run something like that.

1.21 gigawatts !!! Great Scott's !!!!!!!

That's where I disagree joe, the tourqe curve ramps right up, but the hp drops like a home sick rock, unless it can get it rolling right away, I don't see anything surviving very long. To much resistance and heat. That thing would have to be geared so low, I couldn't imagine the voltage needed to run something like that.

1.21 gigawatts !!! Great Scott's !!!!!!!

The trucks are geared incredibly low, between the transmission, transfer case, axle ratios, and then the planetary hubs the gear reduction is massive. Most of the trucks now can pull standing start wheelies if the traction is there, with the right electric motor it might even out perfrom some current trucks. Since they usually don't run for more than five minutes or so at a time maybe heat build up won't be too big of an issue.

The trucks are geared incredibly low, between the transmission, transfer case, axle ratios, and then the planetary hubs the gear reduction is massive. Most of the trucks now can pull standing start wheelies if the traction is there, with the right electric motor it might even out perfrom some current trucks. Since they usually don't run for more than five minutes or so at a time maybe heat build up won't be too big of an issue.

Are you talking monster truck still or sled pull?

Edited by moparmagiclives