Model Cars Magazine Forum

GOT CHROME?

Hey guys...im curious....this is what i have available for chrome paint and im just wondering what works best as a chrome and maybe works best in other situations?....pics below

DSCI1659_zps2a20cafd.jpg

DSCI1661_zpsc7ba9018.jpg

DSCI1662_zps30ac375e.jpg

and what about this paint....has anyone tried to spray it through an air brush?....

DSCI1663_zps26449950.jpg

also the clears....is any of these good or any info is great?

DSCI1664_zps4697d0c1.jpg

DSCI1660_zps517db4a1.jpg

B)

Hey Sean, I have never personally used the any of the chrome paints you have pictured, However I can tell you this, I have used the krylon brand spray paints from walmart and I was really happy with the results for a rattle can!! They spray very well as the cans come with the fan spray nozzel. The paint goes down great with even coverage. If you might have an ollies discount store near you I would check there to see what they might have. I have bought dupli-color and some krylon paints there for dirt cheap prices.. I hope this helps. Im interested to see your results. Take care and good luck. B)

Krylon looking glass works okay... IF you spray it on the backside of some thick acetate (it'll craze styrene), or over some thick glossy plastic. I sprayed some over an old Tamiya gloss black paint can lid and it did look like chrome, but I haven't found a gloss black basecoat that it will work with to get the same effect yet. I tried sealing the gloss black base with Pledge Future, but it did not seem to help. I have found that it will help restore old dulled or scratched chrome, though, and when sprayed directly over kit chrome it looks a lot more like 1:1 chrome.

Other than Alclad, there really isn't any 'chrome' paint that actually looks like chrome- the Krylon, Rustoleum, Duplicolor, and Testors chrome paints all more closely resemble aluminum than chrome.

As for the clears, I've had good luck with the brands you've shown, but DO NOT spray them over the chrome colors- in my experience, any gloss clear coat over a chrome paint will dull it and turn it into more of a medium gray.

I've never tried spraying Rustoleum from a pot through an airbrush- I've only decanted it from a spray can and airbrushed it, and that worked okay. Can't vouch for the stuff in the pots, though.

been looking at the glass chrome, rite now don't won't to pay $9.00 a can. When it comes to Krylon you may have too pick around and find what is best for you,I think I have use the brilliant silver for me it's real close, You have too let it set about 10 days or so. it has a film that will leave finger prints. Make sure you hands are clean too, The new fan tip sprayers are better,they rotate 360 Deg.

madman is sooooooo rite about the clear.

. If you might have an ollies discount store near you

The nearest one is on the other end of the river!....

As for the clears, I've had good luck with the brands you've shown, but DO NOT spray them over the chrome colors- in my experience, any gloss clear coat over a chrome paint will dull it and turn it into more of a medium gray.

I didnt plan on it!...just spraying them over color coats!....i used krylon Patriotic blue with awsome results.... B)

Have you ever try'd dupli-color universal chrome, over gloss black? well here is the result, do not use clear over this, it will turn gray, and it was 3 medium coats....

wheels3.jpg

wheels-2.jpg

wheels.jpg

D@MN! :wub: ...Hows it polish out?....I think ill have to hunt that stuff down somewhere? B)

D@MN! :wub: ...Hows it polish out?....I think ill have to hunt that stuff down somewhere? B)

OK let it gas for like 3 days.I havent taken the polish to them yet, BUT, have heard mothers chrome polish works great, also was told to put clear over the black before puting on the chrome, havent try'd that yet either, so get some spoons from a dollar store, and have at it. be sure to use the universal chrome tho, not the regualer stuff....

Edited by Gothic Kustomz

OK let it gas for like 3 days.I havent taken the polish to them yet, BUT, have heard mothers chrome polish works great, also was told to put clear over the black before puting on the chrome, havent try'd that yet either, so get some spoons from a dollar store, and have at it. be sure to use the universal chrome tho, not the regualer stuff....

Mike,

What gloss black did you use? Any particular brand? I know with Alclad, Tamiya or Krylon gloss black is reccommened.

Have you ever try'd dupli-color universal chrome, over gloss black? well here is the result, do not use clear over this, it will turn gray, and it was 3 medium coats....

wheels3.jpg

wheels-2.jpg

wheels.jpg

Michael,

Did the old spoon test today - WOW! Good results from a rattle can! I only put on two light coats. I will try it again - this time with the three medium coats. By the way, I was able to find the Duplicolor Universal Chrome at my local AutoZone! It was the third store I checked(after Advanced Automotive and NAPA). Not quite as good as Alclad, but when you don't have access to your airbrush and compressor(in storage), I'll take it! I used Krylon Gloss Black underneath. Thanks again!

Michael,

Did the old spoon test today - WOW! Good results from a rattle can! I only put on two light coats. I will try it again - this time with the three medium coats. By the way, I was able to find the Duplicolor Universal Chrome at my local AutoZone! It was the third store I checked(after Advanced Automotive and NAPA). Not quite as good as Alclad, but when you don't have access to your airbrush and compressor(in storage), I'll take it! I used Krylon Gloss Black underneath. Thanks again!

Well let's see some picture's man, Sorry guy's I use'd Dupli-color gloss Black as my base, and I got both at O'Rielys auto parts, man what a knuckle head, go give a great clue, and forget the rest....

Edited by Gothic Kustomz

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Guys,

Here is my experience with the Duplicolor Universal Chrome.

picsay-1351728653.jpg

picsay-1351800174.jpg

picsay-1351800267.jpg

Worked great!

That looks kewl, not to mirrorrie, (is that a word?) I'm gonna try the Mother's chrome polish when I get the money, and I have a set of wheels, I can try the gloss black trick on, I cant find the spoons dang it....