Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

I am really happy to see this kit come out! I can already see some cool variations on the build, and I plan to buy at least two of them to do an FHP version and a slightly modded street car. Maybe even a convertible to do the '89 LX I had back in the day. It may be the angle that the pics were taken, but the tail pipes look a bit "off" to me. One of the things that made the "look" of the LX were those brushed stainless tail pipes following the lower quarter panels out to the bumper. Hopefully this won't be the case with the production kit, but it won't be a deal breaker for me. I'm a model builder, I'll fix it B)

I know this one is a little bit older then Revell kit, but its a slick top

Combine this kit with this- http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/79muscoupe.html and these http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-prodshow/dogdishtruck.html, and you'd be right in the ballpark for building something close to what's in the pic.

That's sort of what I'm planning for at least one of these- combining the '92 underpinnings and the MAD '79 transkit and doing a mildly updated four-eye notch with the '92's fuel injection intact and Cobra R wheels.

Thanks to Jonathan for alerting me to this. I took a late-summer break to do some other stuff and i'm so cised for this news. My bday is in February and even if these are in April i'm treating myself to multiples. This is glorious news as many others have said, and it looks good too..

Guys, the 10 holes were available on LX models from 87-93 so they are correct for the kit. I had a 93 LX hatchback that came with 10 holes. The 16" Pony wheels and high back (GT style) seats were part of an optional package.

I've had more coupes than I care to remember and paid a ton of money for inacurate resin bodies over the years. I'm glad to see Revell listened and actually did an all new kit instead of borrowing parts from the old 93 Cobra / GT Covertable kits from the 80's. I'd like to see them do a LX Hatchback body and interior, and eventually a GT / 93 Cobra kit.

Here's a pic of my 91 I did a resto on after a fire:

91CoupeFRTQTR5-1.jpg

Edited by Drewstang

Can't wait to get some of these kits, would like to replicate the 89 notch i use to have.

Little OffTopic, but needs to ask: Have you tried how it runs on Drag Strip?

Those are very popular Drag Cars, so I will pick one up for sure.

With this one coming to life any word from you resin casters as far as popping some of the 'pony' wheels? I know for myself i have only ONE set on hand and would buy at least 5 more cars worth. Missing Link has them out of production, with no plans for revival. I emailed this week about it.

kitpony.jpg

I would think they'd need to be the currently-fashionable-at-Revell "flanged" style wheels, but again, fitting the tires might be an issue.

That's actually an issue w/ changing the wheels (and or tires) w/ any of Revell's newest kits...I don't care for the flange style wheels and wheelbacks...they seem rather cheesy.

Edited by Rob Hall

I don't think any Revell nor MPC Fox Mustang kits included the Pony wheels, did they? Was (were) the 1/24 Monogram kit(s) the only kit(s) to include them?

I'm pretty sure the Monogram kit's wheels fit the Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires, which IIRC are supposed to be 16" diameter, but I've never measured one to see how accurate it is.

I don't think any Revell nor MPC Fox Mustang kits included the Pony wheels, did they? Was (were) the 1/24 Monogram kit(s) the only kit(s) to include them?

I'm pretty sure the Monogram kit's wheels fit the Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires, which IIRC are supposed to be 16" diameter, but I've never measured one to see how accurate it is.

Correct...only the Monogram '91 and '92 GT convertible kits have the 'Pony' 5-spoke 16 inch wheels. The last MPC 1:25th was the '88.

Little OffTopic, but needs to ask: Have you tried how it runs on Drag Strip?

Those are very popular Drag Cars, so I will pick one up for sure.

Car had a N/A 306 and ran down in the low 11's with street tires , only took it to the track 2 times. Bought a house and it got sold, really regret selling it because it was a GA car and very clean.

Edited by Prostreet

O.K. I've held my tonque as long as I could but I have ...Questions:

Is it just me, or does the top body line look too low still ( Or are the door handles just too high)? And am I mistaken or is the trunk / rear window way... "off" also?

What 's with the 5.0 emblem on the fender? Finally, I don't see an LX or Ford badge on the trunk?

211-vi.jpg

BD8D5C54-C419-477D-B882-C4F51FA15530-636-0000028E09DE25AA.jpg

Hers a pic of a 1:1 (borrowed from the net)

coupe003.jpg

another...

coupe002.jpg

Edited by Abell82

The door handle is a bit too high and the character line is not right between the rear window and the top of the rear wheel arch. It looks like the wheel arch is about a 1/16 inch too tall and the character line is about the same too low. The line should be at about a third of the way between the window and the arch but it's closer to half way to two thirds down.

The 5.0 badge does look a bit large. A couple things I've noticed, the black windshield and rear window frosting seems oversized, and the decklid edge looks too flat in the center..the 1:1 peaks slightly in the center, and has a slight lip. Hard to see if that is present in these pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Might have to get a couple of these when they are out. Weirdly, I've always wanted a 'Fox' since Agent Starling drove one in Hannibal.

It would be good to recreate one of the 'Mobile' chase cars used to guide the USAF U-2 spy plane in on landings at RAF Alconbury, down the road from where I grew up. They used 5.0s because they needed a good fast car to run alongside incoming U-2s, see this website by somebody who restored one: http://www.sspmustang.org/features/USAF_SSP.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last month, the hobby shop I pre-ordered my case from got notification that the status was switched from pre-ordered to on-order. The shop owner told me that usually happens when they become system-ready (3 months is the usual time to get them into the system once the kits have received their final packaging and UPC/sales bar codes). That tells me mid-March.

Revell has always done the same thing. The new tools take a year or more to release, the modified reissues will hit during the summer months. I'd expect the '90 Mustang (yes it's been marketed that way now since it's the only year the 10 hole wheels were available on the LX the way the kit is tooled), the Cuda and the '49 Merc Wagon to roll out in rapid succession right before Christmas. The '57 Chevy Convertible & '69 Camaro ZL-1 will more than likely drop in June & July. Because there will be some modified tooling (and the normal pile of reissues) announced this Spring that will also manage to make it onto shelves before the all new tools.

Don't believe me go back through the last 5 years and show me when that schedule wasn't met.