Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt/Ertl 95' Mitsubishi Eclipse (The fast and the furious)

Byron5150

Hello everyone.

Byron here,

I just signed up here, and Id like to say you guys have an amazing forum here.

I just got back into models here in the past month.

So for this build I'm currently working on, i'm going to try to make it my best model to date.

Here's some pics of the model.

I just started doing body work today.

Modelcar.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

model3.jpg

Heres pics of the body and hood.

model4.jpg

model5.jpg

model6.jpg

Here's the steps I did for the body.

1. Removed any parts that need to be removed.

2. Sanded (lightly) with 220 grit under running water.

just over the major flaws and mold lines in the plastic.

3. Lightly sanded it with #0000 steel wool under water.

4. Washed it down with soap and water.

5. air dried it. And cleaned it with a microfiber cloth

6. Primed it with Tamiya white primer (2 coats) 3 for hood because it was needed.

7. Currently waiting to move forward with the color coat, which I will be using Tamiya light green ts-22

Also on the hood, it had molded hood pins on it. Which I lightly wet sanded off with 220 grit.

Because i will be using detail master hood pins.

If you look closely you can barely see the circle from them here.

Hood is also fully primed.

Cheers,

Byron

i found the decals in this kit are too thick and it's hard to get them to settle down. Keep in mind you have to cut them out around the rear wheel, if memory is correct. Other than that, it's a fun build that makes a nice model when done.

The orange supra is a nice kit to pick up too

Ok thanks for the heads up kruleword.

I've seen the supra its looks sweet. This model was hard to find, since there discontinued I believe.

Just a quick update.

I'm going to brush toothpaste on the primer, to make it nice and smooth for the color coat.

The smoother the better I'm told lol

Small update.

I did the first two dust coats of the green this morning, I plan on doing one wet coat, and see how she looks.

After primer coat was given a day to fully dry, I brushed on toothpaste to allow for a nice smooth and somewhat shiny coat.

I then washed it with soap and water.

Air dried it, and then cleaned it with my microfiber cloth, then it was off to the paint stand.

note I allowed both cans to sit in warm water for at least 10 mins, it really did improve the paint flow, im also surprised at how well the paint sits. Tamiya has some great stuff.

Here's pics of paint, finished primer was, and the first dust coat.

2012-10-18094224.jpg

2012-10-18092402.jpg

2012-10-18094603.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm realy hoping it comes out nice.

Also I painted the hood green but I'm just going to polish and wax the hood with only having the first two dust coats. As I will be putting on a scale motor sports twill weave carbon fiber decal.

I know some people know how to do things.

But I figured for this model.

Or any future model that somebody likes the way I did. They can know exactly what I did, and so on

I will be finishing the body before I work on anything else. Because since I just got back into model cars I don't have all the paints that I need.

However I do have the right ones for the body, spoiler, and window trim.

More to come.

Thanks again

Cheers,

Byron

So after giving the First and only wet coat a day to dry. I then washed it with soap and water, and then I air dried it.

I then polished it with turtle wax rubbing compound using a microfiber cloth and small circles throughout the car.

Then I used the same steps as above, but instead I waxed it with meguiar's cleaner wax.

The body looks amazing it turns the color into a more depth of a color. And looks sweet and shiny. I can't wait to put the decals on it.

Here's the result after the first wet coat.

model7.jpg

Here's after polishing and waxing.

model8.jpg

I also got into painting the spoiler for this car, I used testors metallic silver for the bracket and the wing. And then I used tamiya semi gloss black for the side wing parts.

model9.jpg

I may install it later tonight

Cheers! B)

Byron

Edited by Byron5150

They have a revell fnf one, just the car?

I really wanna find the mitsubishi lancer evo 7 or 8. Kinda like the 2 fast 2 furious. Although do my own custom color and attempt to make my own graffics for it.

I've found some but not sure if there's more out there. Between the years of 2000 to 2006.

Sort of a big update, but not really lol.

I've masked the body for the window trim. It is now painted and spoiler brackets are on. I will show pics tomorrow morning, and describe what all I did.

Also got my scale motor sports decal in the mail today. I will show that as well.

Does anybody have a good decal solution that you can make besides buying some of the microscale soultions?

If not I will wait to the decal later. But if I can find a better way. I can do them sooner.

Btw thanks for the compliments on the car!

Cheers,

Byron

The Revell car has the Bomex body kit, roof scoop and Axis wheels that were used on the FnF Eclipse. The engine is different than what was in the actual movie car, but is more true to the car it was supposed to be. I might just find the engine out of the AMT kit and throw it into the Revell kit just to be movie-accurate, but the general Revell kit itself is supposed to have much more detail and better fitment of parts than the AMT/Ertl kit. I'd also need the decal sheet from the AMT kit as well.

I'm very excited to see how yours comes out though...the body looks great! Are the scale motorsport decals carbon fiber for the dash and such?

The Revell car has the Bomex body kit, roof scoop and Axis wheels that were used on the FnF Eclipse. The engine is different than what was in the actual movie car, but is more true to the car it was supposed to be. I might just find the engine out of the AMT kit and throw it into the Revell kit just to be movie-accurate, but the general Revell kit itself is supposed to have much more detail and better fitment of parts than the AMT/Ertl kit. I'd also need the decal sheet from the AMT kit as well.

I'm very excited to see how yours comes out though...the body looks great! Are the scale motorsport decals carbon fiber for the dash and such?

Oh I see what your saying yea that'd be cool! If you wanted I could always scan my decals so I can have a file of them, if you know somebody or if you can make decals. Also the body kit is the blitz body kit. The one in the Revell is pretty darn close though. And you'd have to make the spoiler. But it looks like a very accurate kit. Thanks for telling me about it.

And the decal is mainly for the hood, I may try and put some of it, in the dash. But I most likely won't.

Thanks for saying the body looks good ;)

Edited by Byron5150

Alrighty guys. Got the window trim done.

Here's what I did.

1. I put 3m scotch blue fine painters tape on and around the windows,

2. Used a toothpick to follow the trim out line,

3. Then I cut the tape with a x-acto knife very carefully to not make scratches in paint.

4. After the windows were done, I just used paper to mask the rest of the body off.

5. I then sprayed it with an acrylic lacquer to help seal some of tape so the paint doesn't bleed.

6. Air brushed it with Tamiya semi gloss black.

Lemme know what you guys think, I think it turned out pretty good.

Also here's a pic of my scale motor sports carbon fiber decal.

model10.jpg

model11.jpg

model12.jpg

model13.jpg

Edited by Byron5150