Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dehydrator heat range?

I did some crude testing to cure enamel painted parts with heat. I don't have a dehydrator but a simple droplight with 100W bulb and a 12" tall cardboard box served the purpose.

I put two styrene scraps in the box, an old door and trunklid. With the light on for an hour, the parts reached 128 degrees and the box a bit less except right near the bulb. I tested frequently using my laser heat detection gun. For a fun fact, the 100W gets to 350 degrees. The outside of the box (about 12 x 12 x 8) gets to the low 90's.

Well the parts didn't deform or melt (good) but I'd like to hear what you folks with dehydrators run them at and for how long.

I can always go to like 60W for 12 hours or so-just want to be safe and cure paint without warping.

Thanks.

Here's what I've built. It works great. Enamel is dry to the touch in a couple of hours. I usually leave stuff in there over night, just to be safe.

http://www.modelcars...+ez +bake +oven

Great info and great idea. Thanks.

And we have something else in common-both Cobra builders!

My little experiment is doing fine at 109 degrees for the parts. But I surely will build a clone to yours and keep it in the basement. Even have the left-over foil insulation!

Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful job on your FF. Here's my ERA;

Just big models eh Tom?

Basically, that's what they are, just big models. Yours looks like mine does now. The new owner painted it black. Yours is a beautiful ride too.

Edited by Miatatom