Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Barron

Modelbuilder Mark

Started off with a 32 Ford from the Switchers kit, not a very good kit but it has some usable parts and was the body style I wanted to start with for this project.

The stance will be very low, channeled, likely airbag suspension. Very likely to use some parts from the 1/24 scale Red Baron kit like the rims, even tho the Red Barron kit is 1/24 the rims fit just fine into the 1/25 tires, we shall see how much, just bits tho.

med_gallery_8985_914_329273.jpg

Here it is after the chop. I already got the top chopped, and although the rear window has the "mail slot" I actually like it that way for the project, and will not be opening it up any more. Instead of pie cutting and laying back the "A" pillars, I will be reshaping them.

med_gallery_8985_914_707566.jpg

A little "Z" action

med_gallery_8985_914_1107730.jpg

Using a more modern mill, the Cobra Jet from the 69 Shelby Mustang kit, it has some great molded in linkage, but it was not opened up from the back side, so I carefully use a very small drill bit and new xacto blade and opened them up. These pictures did not turn out as good as I hoped, but if you look, you can see what I am talking about

med_gallery_8985_914_293615.jpg

med_gallery_8985_914_130557.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

nice work on that linkage mark! looks great

cheers

bryan

Hey Bryan, I am still trying to dial in on your "Gunk" stuff! LOL Thanks for the kind words

nice !!

btw you got some cool partsboxes too i see !!!!!!!!!

yeah, I really like having those. Usually, as I part out a kit, I break them up into those bins. I also have several stackable tubs with the snap lids for large things like bodies, hoods, etc etc. It sure makes it easier to look for things. of course, I stll manage to have some model boxes of beaters etc.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys, I appreciate it!

Nice chop.

Lot of promise on this build, nice chop and motor.

• 1 month later...

OK, after finishing up some other stuff, I am back at this one.

I took a parts box front end, and cut the spring from the top, and re-mounnted to the back of the axle, also added some bolt head detail.med_gallery_8985_914_71680.jpg

med_gallery_8985_914_466185.jpg

Scratched up a front spring hanger, still needs top drilled for bolt heads

med_gallery_8985_914_424207.jpg

Front wheels an online friend traded me, not sure the kit source but they were molded in green.

med_gallery_8985_914_349533.jpg

And, the likely rear rims. I am about 92.3% sure these will be the ones, one other possible option, but since this is using a few pieces and decals from the Red Baron, I am also borrowing the name somewhat as well, with the "Ford Baron". Even tho the Red Baron kit is 1/24, these rim fit into the AMT pie-crust slicks.

med_gallery_8985_914_266537.jpg

Looking forward to more progress on this one, so far so good.

Lookin good so far!!!!!

Thanks guys!

To be honest, part of the problem I have on projects like this, is I want them more detailed then my mechanical knowledge and finger function will always allow, so often it take me what seems like ages to fabricate a piece. LOL I want it to look realistic, but plead guilty to liking cars far more than I would ever consider myself a mechanic, so often I have to refer to 1:1 vehicles or the web etc, to see how something should be put together or function.

For example, on this one, I am already struggling with how I will go about fabricating the floor after the body is dropped over the frame.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Just an idea. You might be able to take the kit floor pan, cut it at the same point you did the frame, raise the back half and add a connector piece. More or less, z'd like the frame was. You may have to do some adjusting to the pan to fit it inside the body.

Edited by mountaindewd

Cool start, Mark.

Nothing wrong with liking cars more than knowing them inside and out! That's why they invented the internubs...so's we kin lookit pikshures. :P

The floor thing won't be too bad, once you get the body able to sit where you want it over the frame. Mock it up and use the frame as your guide to draw lines on the inside of the body (I actually keep an old pencil lead in a brass tube that I grab with tweezers for this, so that my marks are not skewed out of position by the bulk of a pencil or awkward angle...I'm sure you know what I mean!). If you give yourself a slight ledge with some strip or rod, above the marked line by the thickness of your floor material, it'll make life a lot easier having it to register to the same exact location every time you pull the floor out to fine tune its shape. I do them flat, first, then add whatever kickup is needed at the firewall, then tunnels and any other shapes that it needs. It's usually pretty stable by then, and you can just go back and trim out whatever you don't need anymore from the flat stock.

Hope that helps. I'm on meds so it may just make it more confusing! :D

Just an idea. You might be able to take the kit floor pan, cut it at the same point you did the frame, raise the back half and add a connector piece. More or less, z'd like the frame was. You may have to do some adjusting to the pan to fit it inside the body.

Cool start, Mark.

Nothing wrong with liking cars more than knowing them inside and out! That's why they invented the internubs...so's we kin lookit pikshures. :P

The floor thing won't be too bad, once you get the body able to sit where you want it over the frame. Mock it up and use the frame as your guide to draw lines on the inside of the body (I actually keep an old pencil lead in a brass tube that I grab with tweezers for this, so that my marks are not skewed out of position by the bulk of a pencil or awkward angle...I'm sure you know what I mean!). If you give yourself a slight ledge with some strip or rod, above the marked line by the thickness of your floor material, it'll make life a lot easier having it to register to the same exact location every time you pull the floor out to fine tune its shape. I do them flat, first, then add whatever kickup is needed at the firewall, then tunnels and any other shapes that it needs. It's usually pretty stable by then, and you can just go back and trim out whatever you don't need anymore from the flat stock.

Hope that helps. I'm on meds so it may just make it more confusing! :D

Thanks guys!

Hey Les, I thought about that, but there was no real tub for this one. This one was from the switchers and there was the frame, then a fender set. Now... there is a tub in the convert body that was included, I will have to look to see.

Glu, that is kinda what I have been doing. I started by putting a floor on the top area of what I have already done on the frame, then I was going to add the remaining floor lower than the frame on the sides. I used to have one of those tools that a carpenter would use to copy a contour, (forget the name) but it fell apart years ago and I never replaced it. At this point, all remaining floorboard work is on hold until I get the chassis up on it's feet.

• 2 weeks later...

you've got plenty of company here! but i believe it better to take some time and learn rather than throw something together and say "good enough"

....I want them more detailed then my mechanical knowledge and finger function will always allow, so often it take me what seems like ages to fabricate a piece. ....often I have to refer to 1:1 vehicles or the web etc, to see how something should be put together or function.....

....use the frame as your guide to draw lines on the inside of the body (I actually keep an old pencil lead in a brass tube that I grab with tweezers for this, so that my marks are not skewed out of position by the bulk of a pencil .... give yourself a slight ledge with some strip or rod, above the marked line by the thickness of your floor material, it'll make life a lot easier having it to register to the same exact location every time ....

good tip; thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For the Cobra Jet motor, I needed some headers. The ones from the Ford 427 Ford Parts pack were the right distance on each two outer cylinders, but needed to be widened in the middle, so I did so with some styrene strip. Stills needs primer finishing.

med_gallery_8985_914_133491.jpg

Also more work done on the floor pan fabricated from sheet styrene. Possible seats, but I might fabricate bomber style seats as well.

med_gallery_8985_914_351241.jpg