Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 `85 Iroc Z Finished!

Hawk312

All finished, except for the door decals. I`m not sure what I`m going to do about them yet. This was another rushed project, so it is box stock except for ignition and fuel injector wires, and some detail added to the throttle body. I bought this one used off stealbay, and it had a cracked windshield and body, and I`m not sure what he was planning to do with the AC detail at the firewall but it has a huge hole in it. The wheels were also a little rough. All this is part of the reason I didn`t take too much time on it. I have 2 more of these kits though, and I am planning to take a little more time on them.

Let`s see...paint is duplicolor again, probably about 6 coats of color, and 7-8 coats of clear all rubbed out using my normal process.

Overall, this was a pretty nice kit especially given it`s age. It is much more accurate and detailed than the big Corvette kit, IMO. It went together pretty well too.

iroc1.jpg

iroc0.jpg

iroc2.jpg

iroc01.jpg

iroc.jpg

iroc3.jpg

irocengine.jpg

irocengine2.jpg

interior3.jpg

interior2.jpg

Edited by Hawk312

For a great sheen for the seats, I would suggest taking one part Testors Semi-Gloss Acrylic paint and one part Testors Flat Acrylic paint, mixing them together well, and then applying to the interior parts that you want to cover. This combination of clear paints results in a sheen that is just about perfect for leather type material. Even better, the drying time of the Testors Acrylic paints allows you to brush it on the parts and it will self level out as it dries. I've mixed up a bottle of this myself and am always using it on interior parts that I need to have the proper sheen to it.

Thanks everyone!

For a great sheen for the seats, I would suggest taking one part Testors Semi-Gloss Acrylic paint and one part Testors Flat Acrylic paint, mixing them together well, and then applying to the interior parts that you want to cover. This combination of clear paints results in a sheen that is just about perfect for leather type material. Even better, the drying time of the Testors Acrylic paints allows you to brush it on the parts and it will self level out as it dries. I've mixed up a bottle of this myself and am always using it on interior parts that I need to have the proper sheen to it.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I am trying to replicate cloth though, and not leather.

I had an '84 Z28 Demo with that interior scheme. The car was Black, with was supposed to be the "Charcoal" sport seats. Well, in the brochure, they showed this interior with "Orange" multi-colored seats. That's what you got when you ordered the 'Charcoal" with the sport seats. It would wake you up in the morning.. It went like stink with the 5.0 H.O. engine and automatic.

1984%20Chevrolet%20Camaro-03.jpg

Just at thought about those decals: The silvering you're getting on those decals is from the backside, not the frontside of the decal. Dull surfaces are rough by nature and trap super tiny air bubbles in that surface....that shows up as your decals did. You need to place decals on a gloss surface (which is much smoother) to eliminate this. Then you can dullcoat over the seat afterward.

LOL! It`s killing me too. :D:) Oh, for more time......

Hopefully I`ll have some progress pics for you guys soon.

I hope you do! I love the large scale Corvettes, but hell, any large scale build is great to follow. The detail in the kits, and the ability to add our own detail to them, makes these large scale kits a ton more for fun that the "normal" 1/24 type kits. :D

What company and what year is the kit you are working on? I had a 1/8 Corvette back in the 80's. I don't recall a whole lot of 1/8 kits since then.

This is the Monogram kit, originally issued in `85 or `86. I don`t remember seeing them on the shelves back them, so I think it was a pretty rare kit.

See first post for pics.