Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not your ordinary Deuce (or two)

mrm

I have not been on here for quite some time and I have not shown anything new in over a year. I have diecast to blame, but I got the itch for some styrene lately, so I revisited some projects.

This one has been on and off for years and it started as something else and then it morphed into different things over time.

It started with the idea of putting a V8 into a Prowler, which then turned into putting the Prowler drivetrain in a 3 window Deuce with the Plymouth's suspension. Then it was supposed to be a green roadster and the frame was painted. That idea became a yellow Phaeton. So the frame was repainted. Then the Prowler drivetrain plan was scrapped and the idea became a high power V8 (LT5) with a quick change rear. As it sits right now it has a Ferrari V12 in it.

So, what was done?

The frame is a hybrid between the AMT Phantom Vicky and a Prowler frame with good amount of modifications thrown in. Reading the later issues of the Magazine, I guess it would be considered "scratch bashing". It now has the IFS from the Vicky and an IRS based on the Prowler's, while it accommodates the engine and the rear mounter transmission.

The body is the front half of the Phantom Vicky, mated to the rear of an old AMT Phaeton body, with all the door lines filled and new ones scribed.

The interior has the dash from the Vicky, but pulled out, extending the panel behind the windshield. The floor is about half of the Vicky's, but the rest will have to be scratch build. The side panels are from the Dan Fink speed wagon and are completely reworked with new door lines described and will be molded with the body on the top. The front seats are also from the Speed Wagon and are so far stock. The rear seats is the bench from the same kit, but it has been cut many different ways.

The roof is from the AMT Phaeton, but it will be modified in few different ways. The wheels are from a Tamiya Ferrari 360 with the rears fitted in a Pegasus alu sleeve and shod in stretched Tamiya F40 Pirellis.

Still a lot of work to do on this one, so stay tuned and thanks for looking.

dsc0692t.jpg

dsc0693fj.jpg

dsc0694ma.jpg

dsc0695ca.jpg

dsc0696o.jpg

Edited by mrm

Thank you guys.

Next on the agenda is making the engine mounts, filters for the engine and fixing the floor situation, as right now both the engine and the transaxle protrude a little into the interior.

I have sort of a dilemma. The engine has a little part of it that does not fit within the side hood on the right side. I have cut the hood to fit around it and it looks really cool. However, my plan was to paint the car all yellow with grey-tanish roof and interior and then paint the drivetrain a gunmetal sort of color and also put it as an accent in the interior. I was also thinking about making it Boyd Coddington style and paint the engine same color as everything else. Now since a little part of the engine will be kind of part of the hood, I guess I will HAVE to color code it with the body, but then the transaxle will have to be the same "to keep the balance". And I don't thing the transaxle should be body color. Meanwhile it would be somewhat awkward to color code the engine and not the transaxle.

Edited by mrm

aaah ok, cool! thanks

cheers

bryan

No problem. I want bend the roof so the corners on the front go down just a touch to lay flush on the Duval frame. My idea is that will also create a little crease in the center of the roof, but it will disappear before halfway. Then i will sand the top of the hood smooth and add a new line from the tip of the windshield all the way to the top of the grille shell. This way the crease from the roof will be carried on by the windshield and into the body. I think that when it is painted all one solid color it will be a nice subtle touch.

hmm is there no way to shave of a small part of the engine and make it more narrow then ? i mean everything is already so custom so why not change the engine slightly to fit ?

or you could make some kind of buldge on the side hood part so the engine fits like it is now but its still closed on the side , not the best option imo..

i think making the engine a tad more narrow is the best option because imo the car is soo smooth you dnt really need a engine sticking out the side or some sort of buldge that kills the smooth lines ..

just thinking :)

Edited by crazyrichard

hmm is there no way to shave of a small part of the engine and make it more narrow then ? i mean everything is already so custom so why not change the engine slightly to fit ?

or you could make some kind of buldge on the side hood part so the engine fits like it is now but its still closed on the side , not the best option imo..

i think making the engine a tad more narrow is the best option because imo the car is soo smooth you dnt really need a engine sticking out the side or some sort of buldge that kills the smooth lines ..

just thinking :)

This rod I have no issue with the engine. The three window in the other thread is the one that does not fit the Ferrari California engine in it.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Well, one thing led to another, some ideas popped up and at the end I can not fit them all in one model. So a kind of a side project started.

First I was looking at alternatives for the Cali engine in my 30sumtin' project. Then I remembered I had a Fujimi Ferrari "Daytona". The Cali engine was too wide to fit in the engine bay with the side hood on. Well, the Daytona engine is too long. So I decided to make a frame to fit it and that is how the start to a third Deuce was given.

This is what the Daytona engine in a "stock" frame looks like

dsc0711gl.jpg

and with its filter on

dsc0712m.jpg

I don't care for side hoods with this engine the slightest bit as I would not use them with it. However, it was too long

dsc0713x.jpg

I hope you can get where I am going with this engine and no side hoods....... :rolleyes:

dsc0721qr.jpg

So two Phantom Vicky frames were cut in similar fashion but in just lightly different locations.

dsc0718s.jpg

And then they were glued back together

dsc0719t.jpg

Now there is clearly enough room for the engine.

dsc0720h.jpg

This will most likely sit under a Tudor.

Thank you for looking.

Wow... that was an eyeful. I love the mutt quality of this build. So many different things in it and you honestly cant tell. Cant wait to see how it evolves from here.

Thank you Brandon.

I like rods done that way. Like on my 32 pickup. Unless they are told most people never notice that jamb line of the doors curves at the beltline, or that the frame rails are taller than original and their bottom edge continues almost to the grille following the bottom of the body. When a rod is done in a way that you don't notice what has been done to it, but it looks cool, for me personally is the biggest achievement.

p1010552f.jpg