Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st WIP - Topkick: Update 05/28/13 She's Complete

Next I started on what I call the fender spats seen on the 1:1. I used a couple of pieces of strip styrene for the basic shape and attachment.

DSCN1512.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1515.jpg

The spats where shaped and fender line added with the use of a file and sanding stick.

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

Next challenge is finding a radiator with a shroud that looks like the 1:2. Next will be locating it on the frame. Right now my plans are to place it between the hood hinge supports. Once I have it place I can set the engine between the frame rails and work on the final shape of the firewall.

Thanks for looking...

Edited by dougp

• 2 weeks later...

Update 12/03/12

The work continues, but a little slower this last week. I’m trying to spend more time on the 71 Daytona, my other wip. The water pump was modified to try and match the 1:1. From pics of the 1:1 engine and water pumps the pump has been elongated so the pulley/fan assembly is centered within the radiator/shroud. I used strip styrene to extend the pump and several parts box pulleys for the pulley/fan and crankshaft pulley assemblies. I also had to fab up a taller thermostat housing. The 1:1’s also appear to have a 2 into 1 configuration. So two different sizes of styrene rod were used to make the housing.

DSCN1520.jpg

I lucked out and found a fan and radiator/shroud in the parts box that fit perfectly. The radiator/shroud assembly was mounted to the frame rails using white glue for the mock up. Ultimately I’ll use styrene channel to build the bracing and frame around the radiator like the 1:1. The engine was aligned and the location marked on the frame rails for the engine mount locations. The mounts were made and glued to the rails. With the engine finally in place the mod made to the water pump centered the fan in the radiator shroud.

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

I’ve also started work on adding firewall detail. Holes were drilled for pinning the master cylinder, power distribution box and washer fluid reservoir. The rubber firewall seal for the steering column was cut from the Ford Louisville steering column. It was glued to the firewall and drilled out to accept the new steering column.

Next the work on the under hood components and drive accessories has started. The master cylinder was made from a parts box unit with the help from some styrene rod. The power steering unit was made from a flat head v8 generator, parts box pulley and styrene rod and channel. The wire is used to pin the units to their respective mounting points for reinforcement. The alternator is another parts box piece and is currently in the purple pond being de-chromed.

DSCN1528.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy.

Actually Doug, since there IS NO REAL equivalent of this bad boy, your doin pretty good ,in MY book! I LOVE ta see guys cuttin up plastic to create NEW not made models! This bad boy is commin out REALLY cool! And THANKS for the tute, caz there might be a few of these rascals on the contest tables thanks to you, it's SO cool! GREAT job bro. PULEEEEZE don't stop now!!!!!!

Doug, I don't want to pick at this because you are doing an awesome job! However, my only concern would be: isn't the roof-line on the Top Kick a little higher? It seems to me that the windshield is taller. I see you have primered and there comes a time to stop messing with what you have already accomplished. I will for sure understand if that's where your at with it.

Actually Doug, since there IS NO REAL equivalent of this bad boy, your doin pretty good ,in MY book! I LOVE ta see guys cuttin up plastic to create NEW not made models! This bad boy is commin out REALLY cool! And THANKS for the tute, caz there might be a few of these rascals on the contest tables thanks to you, it's SO cool! GREAT job bro. PULEEEEZE don't stop now!!!!!!

Doug, I don't want to pick at this because you are doing an awesome job! However, my only concern would be: isn't the roof-line on the Top Kick a little higher? It seems to me that the windshield is taller. I see you have primered and there comes a time to stop messing with what you have already accomplished. I will for sure understand if that's where your at with it.

Thanks for the comments and concerns. I've have over 100 pics of various commercial and custom Topkicks I've gotten off the web for my inspiration. As to the cab height and engine compartment here are couple of 1:1's for comparison. Also my camera creates a fish eye view when I take really close up pics so it distorts the actual dimensions of the build.

One of my favorites

1212dp_03december_2012_readers_diesels19

and one of the cleanest Topkick engine compartments I've found

DSC01631-crop-1024w.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update 12/29/12

Just a quick update, not much getting done during the holidays. Anyway I’ve completed the exhaust manifolds, master cylinder and starter. I used parts box pieces to make the power distribution box, windshield washer fluid reservoir and air cleaner. The coolant reservoir and windshield wiper motor were scratch built from rod and sheet styrene.

DSCN1591.jpg

The radiator frame and supports were made from channel styrene.

DSCN1593.jpg

The engine is almost complete. The power steering reservoir and alternator were attached with scratch built brackets and push pins. The drive belts and fan attached. The TBI was made by removing the float bowls from a Holley dominator carb and using rod styrene to add details. An oil filler tube was made with rod and tube styrene. The HEI distributor was provided by MAD.

DSCN1608.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg

Test fit of engine with distributor installed.

DSCN1597.jpg

Fuel tank cut from promo Silverado undercarriage and filled with strip styrene. Tank will be shaped and fitted to the underside of the bed above the frame rails.

DSCN1598.jpg

Cab with it’s first primer coat. The finish looks great with only a couple on imperfections to fix.

DSCN1604.jpg

Planning to continue preparing the cab, hood, bed and frame for paint. I need to decide on a paint scheme so I can start work on the interior. Thanks for looking...

From a DG Productions promotional bank like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ameritech-bucket-truck-Top-kick-new-in-the-box-/170965621463?pt=Action_Figures_Diecast_US&hash=item27ce585ad7

Again I lucked out, a seller on ebay was selling the cab only for $4. I just cut the front clip off the Silverado and the hood off the Topkick and mated them together.

Edited by dougp

Nice work Doug! I am following this one.

I got a conversion kit for a Topkick from Plaskit resins. includes the hood, bumper and firewall for sure and I think the fender extensions too. I know they are on ebay but I think they have a website too. They are out of Canada so it takes a little longer to get the parts and you have to mess with the currency conversion. a littlle expensive after you pay for the shipping and so on but the pieces are good and include instructions on how to convert the silverado p/u.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 01/18/13

I have to commend those you who do thorough wip’s with lots of pictures. I found myself making progress and forgetting to take pictures of the work done. It gets to be a lot of work trying to build and document what is done. So great job to those who do it so well…

The chassis is painted and assembled. While doing research on the Topkick suspension and test fitting I discovered the Ford chassis didn’t include front shocks. The lower and upper shock mounts were made out of sheet and channel styrene and shaped to replicate the Topkick mounts. Tube styrene was shaved to create the shock bushings. The shocks were fabbed from tube and rod styrene.

DSCN1638.jpg

As I stated earlier this rig was going to include a hitch. The hitch from the Revell 65 Chevy pickup/Hemi Hydro (HINT) boat kit was flipped, trimmed and extended using sheet styrene.

DSCN1640.jpg

Finally the hood, cab and bed are in primer and the first complete test fit.

DSCN1629.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

DSCN1636.jpg

I think I finally have a paint scheme in mind. Just for a teaser the colors I’m thinking about using will be Tamiya pure white, Tamiya Clear Orange, Duplicolor GM silver metallic and styrene smoke. I’ll let your imagination run wild with the possibilities.

Thanks for looking...