Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st WIP - Topkick: Update 05/28/13 She's Complete

• 1 month later...

Update 5/11/13

Just a little update. I had a coat of clear run on me, so I had to rework the driver’s side. Thank the Lord I was able to sand it out and reshoot. Otherwise it would have gone in the purple pond which would have meant redoing all the body work. If that had happened it probably would have ended up in the trash can after all the useable parts had been removed. The glass and interior tub are installed. The rear glass was tinted with Tamiya smoke and front cowling and wipers were painted in matt and semi-gloss black.

DSCN1913_zps644ca1d7.jpg

DSCN1909_zps1d290594.jpg

DSCN1911_zpsfea89d1d.jpg

The grille is painted and installed. The GMC logo was painted with Tamiya chrome with a coat of clear red over it. I’m in the process of reworking the headlights and turn signals. They were originally used with led lighting and are just clear lenses with no fluting detail. I think I have a solution which I show in the next update.

DSCN1912_zps61c233f3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys, I just finished detailing the engine compartment. Worked out my issue with the headlights. I reshaped a couple of round fluted headlight lenses and used Krystal Klear to attach them to the back side of the original headlight lens, followed up by a coat of chrome paint then matt black to match the inside of the hood. The pics don't do them justice. Stripped the original yellow coating from the side marker/turn indicators and re-painted with Tamiya clear orange. Working on the design of some kind of steps for climbing into the cab.

DSCN1953_zpsc60e1394.jpg

DSCN1956_zps15cf54d7.jpg

Update 05/28/13

I'm calling it finished. The steps were made from the lower steps of the Louisville's fuel tanks. I cut the ears off the steps and drilled holes to add a length of styrene rod for the mounting braces.

DSCN1961_zps04853026.jpg

DSCN1964_zps35c6f7cd.jpg

DSCN1965_zpsc01c6a2b.jpg

For the mirrors I modified a set from a diecast 06 mustang and scratch built the filler/mounting plates.

DSCN1967_zpsc8be087d.jpg

I added the air horns from the Louisville to the driver's side radiator support like my 1:1 inspiration.

DSCN1980_zps0dbd6e8c.jpg

And to finish off the rear frame rail I added stick-on jewels for running lights above the license plate holder.

DSCN1966_zps69d3a73e.jpg

And now after almost 9 months she's complete. Thanks for all the great comments and support. It was a real challenge using new techniques and scratch building learned from this great site.

DSCN1971_zpsfa473c3c.jpg

I will continue the wip progress of the speed boat here unless the mods decide to move it to a more appropriate topic area. Thanks for looking...

Edited by dougp