Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R8 Spyder project!

cruz

Hi there fellas, it's been quite a long time since I have not posted anything on this part of the forum, I have been very busy doing some other little things here and there so the time has been a little hard on me.

This is actually a model I have been working with for quite a long time and it's also a build for a club member. I have been promising him that I would get it finished but it has not quite been like that, luckily he is very understanding. Hopefully I can get it completed for him in a few weeks.

The kit is based on the new Revell R8 Spyder convertible and I must say it's quite a good looking kit right out of the box.

Box_1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The box art is quite simple and doesn't look like much but once you start looking at the parts inside, they seem to be quite nice and cleanly molded. I specially liked the interior, lots of potential do do something very cool. The club member wants me to paint this kit using Testor's lacquer Nassau Blue Metallic. Not quite what I would have chosen but I will have to work with that and see how it will turn out.

I cleaned up several of the mold lines the kit had and scuffed up the body to get it ready for paint. The body on this baby is gorgeous and the lines are smooth. I also went ahead and prepped the panel lines and gave them a wash to get it ready for primer....

GT40HudsonAudiprojects012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

GT40HudsonAudiprojects013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The uptop looks quite nice on the body but it's a little warped. It's an easy fix though so I am not worried about that for now.

I removed the kit chrome from the rims, they just looked a little toyish to me plus, if you look at the real thing, it actually had more of a polished look than a chrome one.

Audiproject4001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

In this picture you can see the kit chrome in the rear and the Alcladed rims in the front, quite a difference!!

Audiproject4003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also Alcladed the disc brakes and gave them a slight wash and dry brushing to bring out the cool details. The calipers were painted red and a decal from the kit was placed on each one.

Audiproject4005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject4008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject4009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is all for now, I will keep you guys updated later to see how this baby will turn out!!!

Hey man, it was about time you posted something here again, you gotta stop working so much for those magazines, we miss you here. :P

Those little black wash and dry brushing techniques you add to your builds really work great and gives those parts such a realistic look, it's why I enjoy your works in progress so much. I read the tutorial you wrote for the magazine on the panel lines and I am happy to tell you that it's also working very well for me, thanks for that. When are you coming to play some baseball with us again? We need a 1st baseman bad.

Hey man, it was about time you posted something here again, you gotta stop working so much for those magazines, we miss you here. :P

Those little black wash and dry brushing techniques you add to your builds really work great and gives those parts such a realistic look, it's why I enjoy your works in progress so much. I read the tutorial you wrote for the magazine on the panel lines and I am happy to tell you that it's also working very well for me, thanks for that. When are you coming to play some baseball with us again? We need a 1st baseman bad.

Thanks Ed, happy to know the panel line tutorial is working for you! Thanks for the invite about the baseball team, last time I played ball, I heard something crack and I haven't been the same since, think I am too old for that. Send me a PM, wanna know if you guys are still playing and didn't want to keep talking about that here... :rolleyes:

wow!

youre doing some really nice work there......very clean looking, the interior is beautiful, and the engine looks great, i always try to use different shades of the same color on something that is pretty much all one color, that little trick makes a huge difference!

keep it goin, it looks great

bryan

I played around with the decals on the valve covers for a while and the way that they are designed actually go better the way they are placed on the valve covers. They do look funny but at the end, they will not be noticeable anyway, the body will hide them...

This is just an outrage! Your out doing yourself time and time again. Just sick man! Will this build be making a showing at the next MAMA meeting? I'd love to see it in person! I can see it now.... I'll bet after you were done with that interior you jumped up out of your chair and did some sort of victory dance didn't you!?!?! Haha!! Beautiful bro!

This is just an outrage! Your out doing yourself time and time again. Just sick man! Will this build be making a showing at the next MAMA meeting? I'd love to see it in person! I can see it now.... I'll bet after you were done with that interior you jumped up out of your chair and did some sort of victory dance didn't you!?!?! Haha!! Beautiful bro!

I don't know about the jumping up and down part but yes, I am satisfied with the way the interior turned out. This build is for Bob Foster so you will definitely see it at the next meeting, finished or not....

Cruz, I had a chance to see this kit in person and I agree with you, I was also surprised to see how cool it is. As always, you are doing a great job on this one, hopefully the color Bob chose works out but I don't have a doubt about how smooth that paint will turn out. You will, at some time have to share your wash and dry brushing techniques with us.

Thank you for your comments guys, certainly very appreciative of them all! Last night, I went ahead and shot some primer, color and clear on this baby and at the moment she is sitting in the dehydrator. Once dry, I will go ahead and finish up with the polishing and bling of the paint. ;) I decided to shoot some pics w/ the interior in place, it's not glued yet. I was expecting the Nassau Blue Metallic to sort of come out on the darker side but I think what made the difference was the white primer base. At any rate, I am actually very happy how it turned out. :rolleyes: I think that this is the only color in their line of paints in which the metallics don't look a little out of scale....

Audiproject5004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject5005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject5006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject5007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Audiproject5008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Wow Cruz, I actually thought it would be more on the dark side since I have used this same color on previous ocassions, I think it turned out perfect specially with that beautiful interior. The panel lines turned out perfect, you really have the hang of that well. Can't wait to see the other parts that will complement the rest of the body in place.