Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Jacen,

I was just reading up on the subject, and the reason for the large front spoiler is that the Bobby Isaac tribute is a Bonneville record holder in it's class. Using the smaller spoiler in front the car was generating 683 psi lift up front. The bigger spoiler brought it down to a manageble 236 psi lift. In order to make this setup work in front, they had to go with the lower level spoiler in the back to keep the downforce at 100 psi in the rear. It's all for the purpose of functionality. And the car STILL holds the speed record for it's class. This was built using Ma Mopar's design specs for what would have been in 71. The reason they weren't built is that Chrysler was getting blackballed because their design was FAR superior to everyone else's aero program in that time. And instead of making everyone else step up their program, Nascar threw wrench, after wrench, after wrench in the gears for Chrysler corp, and made them run some VERY unfair handicaps So everyone else could be competitive. If it wouldn't have been for that situation, this car would have been sent into production. But with all that going on, what wold have been the point?

Nascar made it very clear that they were going to do everything in their power to shut down the wing cars, so they were never built.

Corey

Edited by dimebolt

Jacen,

Yeah I agree also man. Thanks for being real. Alot of people freak out if a person tries to show them a different side of things. I think it looks wierd too. Just wanted to let ya know why they did it that way. I imagine if it woulda went into production, the street version of these MIGHT not have had the spoilers like that, hard to tell. I just think it's pretty neat that an individual got ahold of these concept ideas and made them a reality.

Just figured I'd post the pics I have because of the fellow building one on here, to try to be helpful.

Corey

I have two of these in their boxes ready to be finished, one is the MPC 71 Road Runner that comes with the nose and wing and the other is a 71 Charger I have made a nose for from a Daytona. Don't forget that before NASCAR rained on Mopars parade they squashed the 427 Cammer motor in the early sixties.

I have two of these in their boxes ready to be finished, one is the MPC 71 Road Runner that comes with the nose and wing and the other is a 71 Charger I have made a nose for from a Daytona. Don't forget that before NASCAR rained on Mopars parade they squashed the 427 Cammer motor in the early sixties.

That's cool Brian.

Keep us posted, as I for one would love to see them. And yeah, they did Ford pretty dirty with that little move also. To me, I think if one manufacturer designs someting superior, the rest of them should have to step things up a notch, instead of Nascar playing games with them because others are having a hard time keeping up.

Just my two cents though.

Corey

I have the Roadrunner kit too and was looking for the Daytona nose for my 1973 Charger kit. Would you believe I hve two Revell Daytona kits and cannot find the nose to either of them! :blink:

And Corey? I was actually afraid YOU might freak out when I said I didn't like the spoilers. :D You're right though. I feel if the concept had come to fruition the street spoilers would have definitely been different.

No worries about something like that coming from me Jacen.

I'm a pretty easy going guy. I got kind of perturbed not too long ago on another forum because of all the negativity from people towards each other. Just the way it is though. But really am pretty hard to upset. Everybody has their opinions, as is their right. I just don't like seeing people being downright rude to each other bout everything under the sun. For those kind of people, I think it's time to go back to Kindergarten, because that's about the maturity level it takes to be like that. Sounds like you have some Gremlins!!! Let me know if you can't find them, as I do have one from the AMT 69 Daytona. I can send it your way if you need.

I think it would've been awesome for the wing car series to have carried on, but at least now we know what would've been. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Anyways, send me a pm if you need the nose. I'd be glad to help out.

Corey

I wholeheartedly agree! The whole point of NASCAR originally was driver skill + mechanical tuning + aerodynamics of the factory car. Then Bill France allowed the heavies from each brand affect his rules decision. Ford whined about a rule...France bent. Chrysler moaned about a change...France bent. This is why we have cookie cutter cars today! Now, this off season they'll be testing composite bodies! Do you get that?!? All the bodies from team to team will come from the same mold...litterally. There will be a big mold for Ford, one for chevy and one for the toys. That way one team cannot find an advantage over another. It's as fixed nowadays as proffesional wrestling which is why I prefer to find a vintage race pre 1987 and watch that as opposed to the gigantic commercial they run for four hours on sunday.......okay i'm done. <_<

AMEN!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I built one of these back around 2003/2004 using AMT's '71 Charger with the nose, fender scoops and wing from their garbage Daytona kit. It went together nicely, then I did a '71 Duster as a Superbird for a buddy of mine. Give one a shot, it's very easy to do, and makes for a very cool model for your display case!

1st paint scheme...

71Daytona_14-vi.jpg

Repainted in Red and Gunmetal...

71Daytona0001-vi.jpg

And the SuperDuster, it still hasn't been built and I finished the body for him in 2007!

SamsDuster0194-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I delivered papers to a dealership that had a row of superbirds parked front and center street-side, at least one in every color that was made at that time.

it was an awesome sight for a gearhead that was getting a drivers license real soon. :)