Model Cars Magazine Forum

Linkage for a blower

John Pol

John... hey are you talking about the linkage that goes to the injector hat on one side and off the K style barrel valve??. You are talking about what connects to the gas pedal right? just trying to get a better feel of what you need. I can tell you that in some instances linkages were used and in others there were cables.I can see what I can dig up I have a few books on funny cars and front engine dragsters I can see if I can find something there too.

John... hey are you talking about the linkage that goes to the injector hat on one side and off the K style barrel valve??. You are talking about what connects to the gas pedal right? just trying to get a better feel of what you need. I can tell you that in some instances linkages were used and in others there were cables.I can see what I can dig up I have a few books on funny cars and front engine dragsters I can see if I can find something there too.

I see some cars have a cable going from the injectors I wan tto know roughly what it looks like so I can try to scratchbuild it

John Pol

Hydraulic throttle linkage was common on blower equipped engines. Eelco and Moon sold them. Also, a company called Neal Products made them. The advantage was ease of routing the flexible line in applications where a cable might have tended to bind, or where mechanical linkage was difficult. Some 'experts' complained about problems with them, but properly installed with the right fluid and bleeding procedures, they worked very well....as evidenced by their being used on Mickey Thompson's Challenger I.

The Moon slave cylinder looks like this, connected via lever to the throttle butterfly shaft in a Hilborn 2-hole injector ...

100_1541.jpg

....here's a shot of the same throttle setup from the rear of the engine.....the slave cylinder and line are seen to the right and under the bolwer scoop.......

100_1562.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hey John.... Here are a few pics that I found of the Hilborn injector and the linkages. I will continue to look for more. Also I will be at the NHRA races in Vegas this weekend. I am not sure if they will have any of the Cackle cars out there or not but if they do I will make sure and get some good pics of the linkages for ya. and from a couple of these pics I am posting the linkage where the throttle cable connects to, makes me think it is a cable similar to what a transmission cable is and how it operates. I will see what else I can find for you but here are a few pics......

hilborn1.jpg

hilborn4.jpg

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1361.jpg

DSCN1362.jpg

DSCN1364.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John... thanks for the compliments on my vega funny car. I do have quite a bit tied up in this build. Hey I was oit at the Boat Drags yestwrday and I found sone boats that had the hilborn injection on them. I will post pics later on tonight for you with the cables they used on the linkages. I still need to download the pics to my computer

Not 100% sure if you are referring to it, but many cars used Morse cable, it was cheaper than a hydraulc throttle. This could be duplicated in scale by telephone wire or similar single wire and thin insulation, the wire would terminate at either end with a barrel fitting. Much simpler system clamps to route the cable could be fab'ed from really thin aluminum sheet, (like maybe your favorite beverage can).

Skip... You are exacrly right about the morse cable. I couldnt think what it was called.

John... I will post pics when I get home from work for you tonight. I got the pics downloaded and had over 1000 pics I took at the boat drags. got some good ones on two boats with the hilborn set up for you. i had a few things come up last night and didnt have time to upload them.