Model Cars Magazine Forum

First issue Big Deuce, unbuilt. What's it worth?

I just picked up an old unbuilt, mint, Big Deuce kit. It appeared on the swedish version of ebay, called Tradera. The seller told me it had been sitting in his attic for maybe 25 years. He used to be sales boss for the company that imported Monogram kits to Sweden. I used to work in a big toy store with a hobby department. So we had met before, all those years ago in the mid 70's.

It's the old kit from 1963. Box is in fair condition, and it looks like all the parts are there. The instructions were missing, but luckily I had them.

036.jpg

035.jpg

034-1.jpg

Edited by Modellpularn

Well, this just took me back to the mid sixties, and the Big Deuce that I built right after I finished the Big T................10, maybe 11 years old....................

That is the kind of kit you just want to put away.............too nice to do anything else with it..............I suspect those who collect un-built kits would pay real money...........I recently picked up an E-type Jaguar from the original issue, and the body pieces are so clean, the tooling must of been real new................it's just really neat holding the pieces in your hand................

If you do sell it, go out big............the right person is going give you serious cash..........................it's worth every penny...................

Oh, and having met the rep back in the day, well, that's just a bonus.................

And San Diego is still pretty much paradise..................

ajwheels

Well Tony, I was out there last year in February. I saw a thread from you about ifs/ifr for the deuce. But the pics were gone missing. I'd love to see some, since I had plans around '77 to install Jag suspension on a deuce frame. I still have the project, it's started with some crude brackets maybe. It would be interesting to see how you solved it.

I have no plans to build this one. It' s just so beautiful laid out in the box. I remember when I was about 11 or so, my LHS had lots of cool stuff, and I used to hang around there a lot. One day, a customer comes in and is interested in the Big T. One of the sales guys shows it to him, and then says to me: "this is something you can never afford" That guy was a right jerk! But somehow I gained their trust, so they let me build display models for them later. Like 5 or 6 years later, and then some. I built a number of the big Tamiya kits.

Wonder if that guy is broke and living under a bridge now? I sure hope so! :rolleyes:

I would guess he has passed away... If he's alive, he must be pushing 90. I have no idea how old he was at the time, maybe 40-45. And to make it easy, I was maybe 12, will be 57 next week. Simple math... Thanks for your concern, Chuck! Feels good to know I have friends in far away places. ;)B)

Anywhere from $150-$500, using ebay completed items as a guide. I would expect you could get $250 easily, but for a U.S. buyer, shipping is going to factor in heavily.

I think you could get $325 or so, but I have to say, if I had the chance, I couldn't resist building it. The original issue has some neat features none of the reissued versions had, and this is one kit that always looks fabulous built box stock. :wub:

Small bulbs and stuff so you get working lights, a small saw to cut the doors and trunk open, and a nail file. Of course there's that cool custom grille... Naturally the big and little whitewall tires. I think the custom grille is included in the latest reissue, along with some new parts never seen before.