Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Chrysler Windsor

Modlbldr

Once the '55 Chrysler 300 came out, I knew I could finally do a build of one of my favorite customs from the 90's. Richard Zocchi's 56 Chrysler Windsor was one that I drooled over when it first hit the scene and I am still crazy for it.

I found an article on it in one of my old mags and quicky set about figuring out what I needed to do.

Here are a few shots of the magazine article.

DSCN5476_zpsc4b3918f.jpg

DSCN5477_zps6d7ca4e0.jpg

DSCN5478_zpse8ffc4b4.jpg

Later-

I began by shaving all of the emblems and door handles and filling in the front turn signals. I had to add half round to the entire bottom of the body to get the roll that Zocchi has (his is from a 58 T-Bird). I have extended the front pan down and rolled it to meet the bumper. Zocchi added 1 inch to the bottom in this area.

DSCN5483_zps023b64d8.jpg

I removed the bumper guards from the front bumper and smoothed it all out. I found that the custom grille from the 49 Ford kit is just about as close as I can come to a kit piece to match the grille.

DSCN5486_zps04e988a0.jpg

I'll have to remove the nose in the 300 to make room for the grille and add a chrome surround to match the Windsor.

Fortunately the custom wheels in the kit are very close to the ones on the 1:1 but I needed a center cap. As I was digging through my parts bin one day I came upon four nicely domed chrome caps. I have no idea what kit they came from, but they worked perfectly.

DSCN5488_zps61049e9b.jpg

DSCN5487_zpsbc5efc3a.jpg

More coming.

Later-

I have been trying for a while to figure out how to best modify the rear fenders so that the tops flow straight back instead if sloping down. Tonight I think I hit on the best way. I took out the Dremel and my diamond cut-off wheel. If you haven't bought one of these yet, get one. Much better than having one of the clay cut-off wheels break on you and parts go flying. I cut a slot about 1 1/2 inches long down the top of the fender and glued a strip of styrene into the slot. Then sanded the strip to make the top of the fender straight. On my next bench session I will build up each side of this strip and sand it to shape.

DSCN5480_zpse7e15545.jpg

DSCN5482_zpsa6fba4d7.jpg

DSCN5485_zps236b603d.jpg

Zocchi's ride has a 50 Caddy rear bumper. I need to order one from Modelhaus and mold it in.

I got the suspension lowered and the chassis painted. Not going to be anything fancy there or in the engine bay. That will save a bit of time.

I also need to chop the top, but I am saving that for a ways down the road. Pretty soon I'll be slinging putty on this and sanding till I can't stand it.

Hope you enjoy the start of this. Who knows how soon I'll get updates on it. I'm still trying to finish my 53 Ford Vicky and my 67 GTX Street Freak a little at a time.

Later-

Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement. I couldn't wait to work on it a bit more. I've been real curious to see how the grille will look, so I got the diamond wheel out again and cut out the center grille split. Then I had to leave for a meeting, so I didn't get to finish it up or get any photos. Maybe tomorrow after work.

Later-

Just left the bench for tonight. Got the rest of the plastic strips on the rear fins sanded flat. They arenow ready for putty. I also finished opening the two grilles into one opening and started making the chrome grille surround out of half round. Not bad for one hour of bench time. Photos sometime this weekend.

After looking at photos of a 56 Chrysler 300 on the web, Charlie is right. It wouldn't be difficult to make one out of this kit. You wouldn't even have to alter the grille like I am doing for this Windsor. I'll have to do that with my other kit. Thanks for the idea Charlie.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Thanks for all of the nice comments. It is encouraging. I made a bit more progress tonight. I filled in next to the strips on the top of the fenders with a bit more styrene so that it won't take as much putty.

I continued work on the grille. I cut between each grille bar and re-glued it back together to take out a bit of the height of the grille bars. I also made a grille surround with half round and a bit of flat stock. What a royal pain that all was. It is going to take quite a bit of clean up on the surround before it is ready for Alclad.

I took pics of all of tonight's progress. It is bed time now so the pics will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I finally have some time to update with some photos.

First off, last night I glued pieces of styrene to the tops of the fenders to fill in the area instead of building it up with so much putty. Then I focused on the grille area.

This is what I am going for:

DSCN5501.jpg

The custom grille bars from the 49 Ford kit were too tall to fit correctly in the grille surround. They measured almost 9/32.

DSCN5493.jpg

I used my razor saw and cut between each bar, one at a time, one side at a time and glued them back together the same way. This way, at no time was it completely apart so I wouldn't have to worry about realigning the bars.

By the time I was done the grille measured about 7/32.

DSCN5498.jpg

This is what it looked like before:

DSCN5491.jpg

and after:

DSCN5499.jpg

Subtle, but it fits better. The grille surround is next.

Later-

For the grille surround I started with two pieces of half round glued at the center for a peak in the center. I tried to get the bends at the ends the same, but you know how that goes.

DSCN5490.jpg

I also had to glue two small pieces at the bottom corners of the grille opening because the grille opening angles in at the bottom.

Next I glued two pieces of flat stock together with a similar peak in the center for the bottom of the surround. These I sanded the front of the bar so that it is thinner at the front than the back to match the 1:1.

This is what I ended up with after an hour of hassle.

DSCN5500.jpg

This is what the beginning of the grille looks like in the car.

DSCN5502.jpg

Still lots of clean up to do on the grille and I will also need to extend the bars a bit with a second grille from a 49 Ford. Yippppiieeee!

I would have puttied in the rear fenders in but I have some OLD two part putty that I was unsure about. I'd hate to damage my car. I mixed some up with the hardener I bought and slathered some on an olb body. If it turns out OK in a few days I'll feel safe enough to use it.

Thanks for tuning in. Comments and criticisms appreciated.

Later-