Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

sanding tools

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just an fyi,

I found out recently using the wifes fiber backed fingernail files makes for great body sanding tools.They come in several sizes and several grits in both flexible and some are fairly rigid .

Now I just need to buy the Ms's a new set

Edited by gtx6970

Posted · Report post

I use them too. Don't tell my wife. ; )

Posted · Report post

Heck yeah, I've been shopping the nail care area at Sally's Beauty Supply for years! Totally changed modeling for me.

Posted · Report post

I've overcome my embarrassment shopping the cosmetics area for those and other modeling supplies. Plus, the customer base is much more pleasant looking than in the hardware department. :D

Posted · Report post

When I go to Starbucks, I like to stir my coffee. A lot. Therefore the stirrers come home with me. A bit of shaping on the end, some 3MM Super 77, my choice of sandpaper grit, whoot whoot, a sanding stick!

Posted · Report post

Walgeeens is my go to source for sanding sticks, especially their house brand, the name of which escapes me now. They come in packs of two, and every three months or so they are on sale for "buy one get one half-off". They're usually priced at $1.97 for the two-pack, so they're cheap, and with a Walgreens on just about every corner around here, easy to find.

Posted · Report post

i like those "U" shaped sanders but the proprietary refills are too much for me $$$.

took a piece of welding rod & an alligator clip JB welded to the ends and made my own. made 2 sizes but it was not a real scientific process. about the width of your had across the knuckles is right.

using wet/ dry sandpaper, i back it with masking tape (blue if anyone cares), cut it in strips to suit whatever i'm sanding, fold it over the end without the clip, and land both ends in the clip. the wire keeps a decent amount of tension and it's cheap.

had great aspirations of making several to accomodate different grits and widths of paper (1/4" - 5/8" by eye), but it's so simple to change out 2 is doing me fine.