Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone make a Dodge cummins 12V engine?

The 12 valve is the first version of the Cummins 5.9 straight six that was used from the mid eighties until about 97/98 when the 24 valve came out. The 12V has two valves per cylinder and the 24V has 4 valves per cylinder. Most diesel performance guys prefer the 12V because it's all mechanical and the fuel pumps used were superior to the later 24V pumps. A guy I used to work with had a 96 Ram 3500 Daully 4x4 with a 12V that he had worked over in it. He put a governor spring kit in the fuel pump, switched the stock 180 injectors to 370 marine injectors, put on three piece exhaust manifold and a non wastegate turbo housing running to a 5 inch exhaust, cut a custom fuel plate, and a few other odds and ends. He was making well over 400hp and 1000lb.ft. of torque and could outrun almost everything in town.

Hummmmmmm 6 X 4 = 12?. My Pencil and paper comes up with 24, but like I said I'm no expert.

Yep, had a brain fart this morning. I had 24 valve cummins in my head when I should have said 2 valves per cyl = 12 valve motor.

Highly sought after by the cummins enthusiasts for it's simplicity

What actually sparked my interest in the 5.9 12V is that I had a vision of my perfect 1:1 truck...a 1977-78 Dodge stepside painted hot rod (satin) black with flat gunmetal striping, bumpers, grille, side stacks (everything that would otherwise be chrome), lowered, 17" 5-slot wheels with the face painted black and the lips painted flat gunmetal, black leather interior with Viper racing buckets, and a 5.9 12V Cummins diesel with a 5-speed manual trans...calling it the "Lil Black Nightmare". Now tell me that wouldn't be a bad-ass truck! So that was my plan in building the AMT/Ertl '78 Lil Red Express truck to what my vision is and see how it pans out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...