Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bleed through....

I understand what it is... but what is happening?

And why would they produce parts in red plastic and then expect us to paint it white?

solvents in the paint reacting with the plastic, I coat mine in future then hit it with tamiya white then business as usual.

And why would they produce parts in red plastic and then expect us to paint it white?

Not everyone paints their models, and depending upon which kit you're talking about, some kits (say the Revell Snap-Tite '57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop) were marketed to less experienced builders-- builders who would likely not paint the body.

When you paint the plastic, the piant solvents loosen the outer most layer of the molded plastic, this allows the plastic to leach into the paint and almost mix with it, causing your paint to have a pinkish red tint to it. There are some good primers out there that will help stop that. Grab a few and see what works for you.