Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Early 60's Ford half ton questions.

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

OK, I admit it, I'm more of a Chevy guy, so I need help. I just bought a resin 63 Ford unibody pickup in 1/25 scale. So, it looks like I need a Y-block V8 engine, correct? Also, the chassis is the old wire through the engine type, is something better out there? I may scratch build one if need be. Would this truck have the Ford twin I Beam front end or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Posted · Report post

Twin I- beam didn't show up until 1965. If you're looking for a better detail chassis and a source for the Y-block you can use the Revell 1956 F-100. The only other engines available 1961-64 were 6-cylinders.

Posted · Report post

Thanks! So if the 56 F 100 chassis is correct this must have been a straight axle truck?

Posted · Report post

F-series trucks were straight axle from 1948-1964. In 1965 they switched to twin I-beam, which lasted until 1996.

Posted · Report post

F-series trucks were straight axle from 1948-1964. In 1965 they switched to twin I-beam, which lasted until 1996.

The Super Duty F250 and F350 2wd trucks are still using the Twin I Beam, but as stated, 1996 was the least year for it and its 4x4 Twin Traction Beam variant on the F150.

Posted · Report post

That I did not know. Any F-250s that I've gotten close to were 4x4; never got too close to 4x2s.

Posted · Report post

You don't see the 2wd variants very often, most buyers seem to pop for the 4x4 option, almost always with the Powerstroke engine, too.