Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville Hardtop

mrmike

Michael good job so far . How come your rear seat is different on my 59 there is a chrome speeker across the seat and the rear shelf is concave ? Which kit is it that you have?

The kit I have is the Monogram Cadillac Eldorado Seville Hardtop kit no. 85-7808 . I suspect that the kit you have may be the Eldorado Biarritz Convertible. My kit also contains some parts for the Convertible including the different seat back and convertible boot since both kit are virtually the same. One is a Hardtop and the other is a convertible. Or else, the kit you have may have gotten the convertible interior parts in error. On the convertibles, the rear seat speaker is mounted in the upper middle of the seat back.

Thanks Remington and Shane!

The car is gorgeous, the Tamiya light brown is a phenomenal color!

but the story... I want to hear more, also can you post it in detail as you wrote it? I feel that by you cutting it down you have lost some of the detail

Remington, thank you for your interest in my story, but I refuse to to add more than what I have posted here for a reason...this is a scale model car forum, not story time at the library. The purpose of adding a small story to my build is to show what is driving me to build a particular model and yes, to show off a little bit of my writing skill (or lack of). I don't want to overwhelm the WIP with my story and keep the focus on the build itself. I have been doing this for about 3 years and the response has been good and I have been told to try and get my stories published, which is no easy task. I have a journalist friend who has written a novel and has been getting rejection notices left and right.

I mainly write for my own enjoyment and sometimes the stories help take my mind off some of my daily troubles. I find it as an escape of sorts and combining the story with a model build allows me to be able to build a model that would otherwise sit in my stash longer. The actual stories are on the short side as well, averaging out to 8-10 pages at about 5000 words. Short stories. I do thank you for your interest and I hope you will keep watching my WIP!

Thanks Charlie and Bill!

Charlie, I am hoping to be able to bring the Caddy to MASSCAR in March.

The Story
McNally and Caitlyn arrive at the Diner and find Zachy in his usual booth and looking very bad. Zachy sees McNally and he shows McNally his arm with a red and swollen welt...an injection point. Zachy tells of the party with two guys he met and they forced his arm onto a tabletop and injected him with an unknown drug. He's become too weak to get himself to the hospital, so he called McNally. With Caitlyn's help, they get Zachy out to the Charger and McNally drives him to the hospital ER.
The Build
I have built up the engine as far as the instructions say I can. The are several more parts to go on after the body and chassis have been assembled together.
Caddy38.jpg
Caddy39.jpg
Caddy40.jpg
McNally Will Return...

Thanks John and Charlie!

Charlie, just give it a try. It's really not that hard to do...just take your time and work carefully!

The Story
McNally calls Det. Chen of the Narcotics Squad and Chen tells him to meet him where they discuss the drug dealers that Zachy met...Foo-boy and Digger. Chen calls in his information and soon another detective joins them with additional info on the two drug dealers and warrants for their arrest for the murder of 3 drug addicts. McNally offers to join in the bust since Chen is shorthanded tonight and he welcomes McNally's presence and Police expertise. They break down the door to Foo-boy and Digger's apartment and Chen chases Digger towards the back of the apartment while McNally fights with Foo-boy hand-to-hand with Foo-boy being subdued by the Boston PI. Chen collars Digger in the bathroom, trying to flush his stash of drugs down the toilet.
The Build
The interior is now complete with the steering wheel added to the steering column.
Caddy41.jpg
Caddy42.jpg
The wheels and tires are nearly complete. Decals for the wheel covers are next after I mount the wheels to the chassis.
Caddy43.jpg
McNally Will Return.

Thanks John!

The Story
McNally returns to the hospital to pick up Caitlyn and check on Zachy. Zachy will be OK after getting the medical attention he needs. As he and Caitlyn walk back to McNally's Charger, they discuss the drive to Springfield tomorrow and Caitlyn offers to drive...she wants to show off her new Mustang GT Convertible to her friends and parents when they get there. That's fine with McNally as he can concentrate on what he has gained so far on his case. His suspicions about Derek Parregrin are starting to get the best of him, he just needs to find sufficient evidence against Derek.
The Build
I decided to try the chrome decals that came in the kit. I must admit that I was a little skeptical at first, but after working with them, they came out pretty well.
Caddy44.jpg
Caddy45.jpg
Caddy46.jpg
I still have some foiling to do and this car still needs a lot of it.
McNally Will Return...

The Story
The following morning McNally visits the Boston Police Homicide Unit. Adam has received an early edition of the ME’s report on Mary Parregrin’s death. It appears that she was pushed, lost her balance, and hit her head on the kitchen counter. There were bruises on her upper arms and shoulders that indicate she was shaken and pushed. McNally says that he is heading back to Springfield to continue investigating Derek Parregrin and to take a closer look at his wrecker.
“We also got a hit on some of the prints on the Caddy’s right tailfin. A man named James Dallone. Some small time priors, nothing for several years,” says Adam.
“Got an address on him?”
“Springfield Police lists him at 354 Chambers St., Apt. 3C their city,” replies Adam.
“I’ll check him out later today when I get back to Springfield,” says McNally.
The Build
I have finished applying the decals for the Caddy including the wheel cover centers.
Caddy47.jpg
Foiling is also complete! This took me a while to do even after using the decals from the kit. In some spots, the decal had torn or ripped. BMF polished looks like the kit decals that I had applied.
Caddy48.jpg
Caddy49.jpg
I need to dry brush the Eldorado scripts on the front fender lowers.
McNally Will Return...

Thanks Charlie! Even though I have the bulk of the story written, I am still adding to and making changes to it as I go along. The chrome decals helped greatly with the foiling, even if I did do a lot of foiling afterwards.

The Story
McNally and Caitlyn drive out to Springfield to continue his investigation and to meet Caitlyn's parents with Caitlyn driving her 2010 Mustang GT. After meeting her parents and showing off her new car to her family and friends, Caitlyn drives McNally over to Derek's house after dark to check out Derek's flatbed wrecker. He sneaks around Derek's house to the back and finds the truck sitting in the driveway and in the dim light he makes out the lettering on the door just as Mrs. Crane had described it...faded, missing letters and numbers. McNally looks in the cab of the truck and finds towing invoices with the name of James Dullone, one of Derek's employees. While searching the cab, he accidentally knocks a small crowbar onto the driveway, making a loud clang. He quietly shuts the door and races through the bushes into the neighbor's yard and back up the street to where Caitlyn is sitting in her Mustang. He gets in and says, "Let's get outta here!"
The Build
I got the windows glued in place using Testors Clear Parts Cement. I have had limited luck with Elmer's Glue and Testors Gloss Clear, so I purchased the Clear Parts Cement to try it and I really like this stuff. Strong than Elmers and faster setting than the Gloss Clear.
Caddy50.jpg
Caddy51.jpg
The engine bay is nearly finished.
Caddy52.jpg

McNally Will Return...

Thanks guys! Charlie, I think the Elmers should break cleanly where it was applied. Maybe try using a hobby knife and a little bit of light pressurre between the parts to help break them free.

The Story
After leaving Derek's house, McNally decides to visit James Dullone, but when he arrives, he sees Springfield Police at the apartment building. He identifies himself to a patrol officer who directs him to Det. Colburn. James Dullone has been murdered and was found by a neighbor who heard a loud commotion in the apartment next to his. McNally agrees to stop at the station and give a statement to the Detective since both cases may have a common ground. It's possible that Derek may have murdered James because of his involvement in Mary Parregrin's death.
The Build
Tonight, I took a big step forward by joining the interior, chassis, and body together. I also started adding the remaining pieces to the engine compartment like the air compressor, radiator hoses, and battery. I still have to add the cruise control and washer bottle.
Caddy53.jpg
Caddy54.jpg
Caddy55.jpg
McNally Will Return...