Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real cloth Mexican blankets & other stuff

Jantrix

A while back I had posted my real cloth Mexican blanket that I made using a rather hard to find lint free cloth. The cloths are expensive and not usually carried in your average hardware store. So in response I got a lot of "Nice work and thanks for showing us something we can't do, you knucklehead."

So imagine my surprise when I found the identical material in the most unlikely location. My gun cleaning kit. Gun cleaning patches are made of the VERY SAME STUFF. And you can get them in varying size depending on the caliber of the gun you are buying for. This means you can probably find these lint free cloths/patches in any sporting goods/gun store/WalMart. The brand I have on hand is Gunslick and the patches are 1.5 x 2.5 inches for my .45. I have seen them on the web (Amazon) up to 3x3 inches for 12 gauge shotguns which would be big enough to cover any 1/24 scale seat.

Here's the cloth markers I used from Michael's.

2012-10-28132553.jpg

And used them and the cloth to make this. I first cut the cloth to size and then taped it down with some double faced tape or just some folded over masking tape. I then drew lines with the markers using a good straight edge. Don't press down too hard so you don't get too much ink and end up with colors bleeding into others. Holding it down keeps the cloth from pulling out of shape as you draw your pattern. Let the cloth dry fully before handling the new blanket. Clean hands are an excellent idea too.

100_1195.jpg

100_1196.jpg

I also used the same material for the top for my Merc.

2011-08-17094834.jpg

2011-09-16164831.jpg

I am very happy to finally pass this method on to you guys using materials you can actually find. Totally made my day. I hope you find this useful.