Model Cars Magazine Forum

modelling research project

Greetings fellow modellers,

I am a graduate student at the University of North Texas and a modeller. As a design student, I am interested in studying modelling as an activity, especially with regard to the differences between modellers interested in reproducing existing objects and those interested in kitbashing etc. for the purposes of creating something new out of their imaginations. I am currently doing a study on this difference, and would be much appreciative of anyone in this community who would be willing to answer a few questions. If you are interested, answer the following in response to this thread:

Model-making methods and processes: a hermeneutic research project

Questionnaire

Please answer the following questions in your own words:

1. What is a model kit?

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling?

3. Do you follow instructions when building a model?

4. How skilled are you at modelling?

5. What are kit conversions? Have you ever done a kit conversion?

6. What is kitbashing? Have you ever kitbashed?

7. What is the object of model-making? What is the end product?

All material included in the research report will be anonymous.

Thank you very much for your time & best wishes

I'll take a stab at your questionairre :D

1. What is a model kit? A scale representation of a motorised vehicle , typically made of moulded polystyrene plastic .

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling? My approach is rather minimalist ; clean-up and detail painting .

3. Do you follow instructions when building a model? Only if it's a new-to-me kit . But , even then ...

4. How skilled are you at modelling? I'd say "better-than-average" , but by no means am I a master of the hobby :)

5. What are kit conversions? Have you ever done a kit conversion? "Kit Conversions" typically entail a model year change , a trim level change , and engine swap , etc. , etc. I've not attempted this in any true capacity .

6. What is kitbashing? Have you ever kitbashed? "Kitbashing" is the combination of two or more kits , in order to add a more-detailled chassis , interior , engine , etc. , etc. I've done mild bashing on a number of occasions .

7. What is the object of model-making? What is the end product? For me , it started as a hobby when I was 5 (in 1975) . The "end product" is --again , personally-- an exercise in living vicariously through plastic :lol: :D :) . It's also one of the few things I can accomplish on a truly limited income .

Best of luck to you in your ventures :)

Your first step should be to realize that there's only one "L" in modeling.

Alternate spelling , mon frier ;)

Noted--but, according to the dictionary, both are acceptable. Perhaps the double L is out of fashion; I will switch to the single L, if you indeed think it the more apt. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by ultraspacemobile

I would generally tend to agree, especially in a post coming from a self-described 'graduate student.'

However, in this instance, either spelling may be considered correct, albeit the double 'l's are more common to non-U.S. English-speaking countries such as the UK and Canada. While it looks odd and I do not really care for it, it should be considered correct within the confines of a multinational forum - even if the writer currently resides in Texas.

Why not, I will play along!

1. What is a model kit? Building a scale replica of your choice either in kit fourm from the store or building it your self.

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling? Sanding, Painting, Resin casting, Mold making, Research work, Talking to the real people who built the real car.

3. Do you follow instructions when building a model? No! I do research and go by photos and the real car to build from.

4. How skilled are you at modelling? Only been building since 2003 and feel i'm ok at what I do and always learning diffrent things and how to do stuff from the great people here in the modeling world.

5. What are kit conversions? Have you ever done a kit conversion? Resin cast kits to change things from what the kit companys have to offer over to make a new kit. I have started with a kit and only use what little I needed from this to help a resin kit to build what I was building.

6. What is kitbashing? Have you ever kitbashed? Taking more then 2 diffrent kits and building a car or subject with many diffrent kits. Yes I use a lot of diffrent kits parts and such in the past to build with.

7. What is the object of model-making? What is the end product? I build models for people and to also help show people that are in the modeling world that you can build or change the stuff that the kit mfg offer to build todays style of cars. For the ending product? 253181_4419408577143_749853027_n.jpg560721_4387011287231_388078438_n.jpg309456_10150399857401833_181308499_n.jpg299566_10150399856886833_462867395_n.jpg302535_10150399856246833_698858929_n.jpg

1. What is a model kit?

A group of preengineered parts that when assembled replicate and object, either real or fictitious.

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling?

Cutting, sanding, gluing, painting, mixing, measuring, testing, thinking, polishing, fitting, creating, comparing, researching, examining.

It depends, if I'm not modifying the kit much I will use the instructions. Other times I only use them for certain parts like the engine for example, since the rest of the build may be mostly scratchbuilt or bashed to the point that no one set of instructions is really applicable.

Overall I would say I'm average, I'm good at certain things but not so good at others. I'm pretty good at scratchbuilding, I have a fairly analytical/mechanical mind so I try to build things that are realistic regarding how they would function on a real vehicle. On the other hand, I'm not a very skilled painter or weatherer. It's partly due to not having an airbrush and partly because I just don't do it well. I'm also not a good "finisher" of builds, I tend to get distracted by something else before I can bring one build to completion.

I imagine it is where you take one car and make it into either a different make of a similar car or differnt model of the same car. Body work isn't my strongsuit so I don't do major changes that will require a lot of cleanup.

Kitbashing is taking parts from multiple kits and combining them in one build. I can count on one hand the number of kits that I have finished with only the parts that it came with. Of the over 200 kits I have there are probably a dozen that don't already have something from another kit tossed in the box, and that is only becuase I haven't figured out what to do with them yet.

For me the end result has to psychological because I don't produce a lot of finished builds to speak of. It is an escape from the pressures of life and an outlet for creativity. I have always loved cars and trucks and mechanical things and this is a way to connect with that.

Questionnaire

1. What is a model kit?

A model kit is an assortment of parts, usually plastic, metal or wood, which, when assembled, you hope looks like what you wanted it to!

All of those, plus research, planning, project management, tool safety, and in some cases, anger management.

About 50-50. Sometimes, things go together better when assembled in a different sequence.

About average.

Using aftermarket parts to create a slightly-different product than originally intended. For example, Motor City Resin Caster's Hudson Hornet sedan body to go on the Moebius Hornet Club Coupe kit. I'll be doing this one very soon.

The mingling of several kits and/or aftermarket products to come up with something else. Yes, I have done this.

The object is to re-create something in miniature. The object, I think, is the intended end-product

My answers are below each question, which has been bolded.

Good luck with your project. I'd be interested to see your results.

Charlie Larkin

If you're exploring "the differences between modellers interested in reproducing existing objects and those interested in kitbashing etc. for the purposes of creating something new out of their imaginations," I suggest you left out the most basic question of all, and that would be scratchbuilding vs. kit building.

Someone who is truly creating something out of their imagination doesn't necessarily need a kit at all.

If you're exploring "the differences between modellers interested in reproducing existing objects and those interested in kitbashing etc. for the purposes of creating something new out of their imaginations," I suggest you left out the most basic question of all, and that would be scratchbuilding vs. kit building.

Someone who is truly creating something out of their imagination doesn't necessarily need a kit at all.

Scratchbuilding is a fascinating topic in itself; but, because it is a world apart from kit building, it had to demark it outside the scope of my study. However, any thoughts you might have about the relationship between scratchbuilding and kitbuilding would be insightful, since it helps me place kit building within a larger context of modeling activities. The very fact that you brought it up pleases me!

correct. we just need $200 worth of paint, photo etched, and aftermarket resin details

Wrong! Scratchbuilding means building from scratch... from raw materials, not buying parts that someone else already made. Scratchbuilding is the way Gerald Wingrove builds models. No kit, no aftermarket... he makes the model from scratch... sheet brass, tubing, rod and channel, chunks of metal and plastic, etc.

Not that there's anything "wrong" with buying aftermarket parts; it's just not scratchbuilding in the true sense.

Questionnaire

1. What is a model kit? A collection of parts including instructions that allow someone with the proper skills to make a pre-sculpted representation of an object. Can represent people, vehicles, animals, weapons, etc.

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling? painting, sanding, correcting errors (both from the kit or my own), assembly, applying metallic foils, sometimes designing new assemblies...

3. Do you follow instructions when building a model? Typically, but not always, and almost never in the sequence they are depicted.

4. How skilled are you at modelling? Moderate to high, depending on the subject. It's ALWAYS a learning process.

5. What are kit conversions? Have you ever done a kit conversion? Kit conversions are either supplemental pieces (either home made or purchased from a vendor) that change the nature of the kit. Haven't done one yet, but I'm willing. Does PE emblems count? If so, then yes.

6. What is kitbashing? Have you ever kitbashed? Kit-bashing is taking two or more kits, plus home made parts sometimes, to make something different than any of the original kits. I think almost all of the kits I've done so far have been a least a little kit-bashed, from changing the wheels and tires to something more realistic to a full on engine and chassis conversion. Still need to post my Monte Carlo...

7. What is the object of model-making? What is the end product? The object of model building? I think that's entirely subjective. For me, the object is just relaxation, enjoyment of the community, making things with my own hands... The end product? Usually something I'm proud to show off (once in a while something I kinda hide if I screw up too bad). :)

Greetings fellow modellers,

I am a graduate student at the University of North Texas and a modeller. As a design student, I am interested in studying modelling as an activity, especially with regard to the differences between modellers interested in reproducing existing objects and those interested in kitbashing etc. for the purposes of creating something new out of their imaginations. I am currently doing a study on this difference, and would be much appreciative of anyone in this community who would be willing to answer a few questions. If you are interested, answer the following in response to this thread:

Model-making methods and processes: a hermeneutic research project

Questionnaire

1. What is a model kit? A box with ready-made parts, for assembly according to instructions

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling: Sanding, filing, cutting, burnishing, polishing

3. Do you follow instructions when building a model? Only if it's a new kit, with assembly steps or part I don't recognize

4. How skilled are you at modelling? Subjective question, seriously! As one who is doing research at the college level, this question is VERY subjective. That said, I've been building model car kits for right at 60 years, so I have experienced just about all there is to experienced--consider me highly skilled.

5. What are kit conversions? Have you ever done a kit conversion? As a former manufacturer of hand-cast urethane resin model car kits and conversions, I've done several hundred over the years--before I got into resin casting, I built over 200 models of Indianapolis 500 cars, 98% of which were conversions, from one subject to another.

6. What is kitbashing? Have you ever kitbashed? Kitbashing is simply the art (or craft) of combining various parts or portions thereof of different model kits to arrive at a different version of what might have been produced by a model company.

7. What is the object of model-making? What is the end product? Most all model builders would say that it is purely our hobby, our window into the world of creativity. But the bottom line is, almost all of us do it because it's there, and it's a challenge, and it's fun

Frankly, your questions are so simple as to appear almost sophomoric (now go look that up in your dictionary).

All material included in the research report will be anonymous.

Thank you very much for your time & best wishes

To me "scratch building" is also creating new components for an existing cast model. For example, fender skirts, exhaust, tuck and rolled interiors......and much more.

on this Rommel Rod the items scratch built are- tailgate hinges, exhaust pipes, hood ornament, wood truck bed, wood box, lower side panels damaged in track fender repositionl, headlight lenses,door decals and roof.

IMG_0418-vi.jpg

IMG_0424-vi.jpg

IMG_0427-vi.jpg

1. What is a model kit?

A collection of parts and instructions that can be used to make a representation of another object. Typically, the kit is composed of plastic shapes molded in the shape of the object's parts. Other materials are sometimes included such as steel axles, screws or other structural parts. Decals, and sometimes photo-etched bright metal details, are also typical components.

2. What activities (e.g. painting, sanding, burnishing) do you associate with modelling? Removing the parts from sprues, sanding/scraping mold parting lines, gluing sub-assemblies together, painting and polishing are typical activities. Cutting, grinding, re-shaping, adding parts from other kits and/or making additional parts from non-kit materials such as sheet plastic, metal tubing and so on are also common activities for more advanced model builders.

I refer to them when building sub-assemblies that are not easily understood by observing the parts, but generally I don't build the kit following the instructions from beginning to end. Most of my builds tend to use one or more kits to make models that have little in common with the kits they started from.

Advanced amateur. I often don't get it looking "right" the first time but I have the patience to continue shaping/sanding/painting until it is -- or completely re-make a part.

I'm guessing that it means making a different item than the kit was designed to represent, For example, converting a Camaro Z/28 coupe into a Camaro SS convertible. No.

Kitbashing is using parts from two or more kits to make a model. A simple example would be using the body from one kit on a chassis from another. Yes.

For me, it's a creative activity that I use to make something that I like to look at. I may enter the model in a contest to see how it compares with other entries. Whether in-person or online, building and showing the model (both during construction as well as finished) is a social activity as well even though I'm alone when building it. In a literal sense, the end product is a small version of an actual or imagined larger object, usually a vehicle. In a broader sense, the end product represents the skill of the builder where the process of building is probably more important than the model itself.

Edited by chepp