Model Cars Magazine Forum

To Infiniti, and beyond....

Chuck Most

It has been a while since I've so much as looked at a project, much less finished one. So I thought I'd try something (relatively) simple.

So far not much done...

1-vi.jpg

The car is the Aoshima kit, and the wheels are 17" Street 17S from XS Tuning. Right now the body is sitting on the molded-in mud guards- those will be removed later on, once the ride height and wheels are dialed in. I'd planned to try this with an Aoshima Lexus LS 400, but I've built two of those already, and wanted something just a bit more esoteric. I don't think I've ever seen the Aoshima Q45 built up.

I'm not sure if I like how the wheels look on it or not yet- they look a bit small, even for 17s. This car is pretty big- about the size of an LS 400 or a Crown Vic. I might stick with these rollers, but as always, I'm open to suggestions for or against.

For paint I'm thinking of a red/white/blue motif as seen on Datsun race cars of the '70's, and there will be a few very MILD Bosozoku touches here and there (I'm planning some slightly longer than necessary exhaust tips, for one thing). The interior is RHD only, I'm thinking of leaving it mostly stock, just color-keyed with the exterior.

Edited by Chuck Most

Well, decided to forge onward with the XS wheels and tires, which are now permanently installed with the included rotor/caliper castings.

2-vi.jpg

This is as low as the car can possibly get with these wheels and tires, without carving up the inner fenders like a Thanksgiving turkey. I've also removed the mud guards at this point, but there's still a bit of bodywork before it's close to paint ready. I'm still considering shaving the door handles and the front plate frame.

A totally shocking suggestion about a car model that almost no one has ever done: How about a stock build?

Nah- not this one. Now, if one of Infiniti's later (and MUCH prettier) models were produced in kit form- such as the G35 or G37, THEN I'd most certainly do a factory stock version.

And at least one tuner version.

Of each.

:D

Nah- not this one. Now, if one of Infiniti's later (and MUCH prettier) models were produced in kit form- such as the G35 or G37, THEN I'd most certainly do a factory stock version.

And at least one tuner version.

Of each.

:D

This is the kit by Fujami I'm making my G35 from. It's a Japan only kit and is the hometown Nissan Skyline 350GT coupe. It needs Infiniti logos and a left hand dash.

g35boxDSC_0942.jpg

I also have an Infiniti J30t by Aoshima. It's a Japan market kit also. It had PE Infiniti logos which I got the kit for. It's a pretty good looking car for a pre-G35 Infiniti! I've been tempted to patch the back end to a '49 Merc!

j30tboxDSC_0941.jpg

I know the G37 hasn't been kitted as that's my current 1:1.

Edited by Foxer

The G35 is based of the 350Z platform

Yes ... It was the 2nd car off the 350 platform. They lengthened it 8" and tuned the suspension for a little better ride. There's much goodness in that new platform and they definitely got their money out of it. The G35 did very well replacing the 5 Porsches I had before it! :)

Yes ... It was the 2nd car off the 350 platform. They lengthened it 8" and tuned the suspension for a little better ride. There's much goodness in that new platform and they definitely got their money out of it. The G35 did very well replacing the 5 Porsches I had before it! :)

I agree. I had 2 G35 coupes and now a G35 sedan, all of which were much better than my 944.

I agree. I had 2 G35 coupes and now a G35 sedan, all of which were much better than my 944.

Ah, wow! ... we could be twins! ehheh Two 924 turbos and 3 944's here. I thought they were made just for me. I have to give the 944's their suspension .. one of the best ever! But the G35's horsepower and interior shamed the Porsches. And the Brembo's were a fair match for the Porsche brakes.

Now, with all this discussion going on here, are you going to give us a shot of the Q's front and rear ends, Chuck? :D

If you are planning to build this kit, a couple of tidbits...

1. Just go ahead and deepen the hood, door, and trunk cut lines- they are extremely shallow, and will get lost under a few coats of paint.

2. If you plan to cut open the moonroof, you will find it has been scribed from underneath. This panel comes out with almost frightening ease- I barely dragged the back of a #11 blade over the scribed lines three times and it was out.

3. The body on this kit is THIN- watch it when sanding/working along the roof pillars. I haven't broken any of them. Yet.

Anyway- the door handles are now gone- I'm still dragging my feet on the front plate bracket, though. Entire body is now coated with primer sealer- hopefully it won't be too long now before paint, though I might take a short detour and work on the interior first.

3-vi.jpg

Wow... All this Infiniti activity!

The Q needs some rims & tires. The ones shown on the mock-up are way too small in diameter. That model year had 15" rims standard. 16" rolling stock came with the touring package IIRC. Those look like 14's. That model Q was bulletproof. We have a handful of customers that still return to us for servicing. Great choice for a tuner build.

The G35 conversion looks great. You nailed the proportions and shape of the deck lid spoiler. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Besides the Q45, I also have the J30 kit , which I always wanted to cut into a 2dr. drop top.

Great builds guys, really unique stuff!

Which BRE Datsun are you looking at? I am guessing the #46 car driven by John Morton Red over White and Blue stripes. There is also the #33 Blue over Red, #68 White over Blue, #85 Blue over White, and lastly the #300 Red over White and Yellow strips

Here are a few Vintage 70's pictures from the BRE Shop.

bre2_510s_shop_overheard_lgt.jpg

bre2_510s_shop_floor_upper_lgt.jpg