Model Cars Magazine Forum

An odd configuration

I've randomly sighted trucks of this configuration driving around but this time around I finally managed to snap a picture of one to hopefully understand why trucks like this even exist...

IMG-20121029-00061.jpg

The truck was a regular Freightliner Cascadia, standard bunk, single rear axle. The trailer is a drop-deck curtainside. Company is these guys: Truck Accessories Group.

It would be a daycab, sorry I misread your post and didn't pickout the sleeper in the photo.

Still not clear on the why does it exist part other than the single rear axle?

If that is it, then if the company doesn't need to haul a heavy load it saves money upfront on the truck, saves money on maintenance and tires are expensive. One axle is 4 less tires, maybe a little better fuel economy too.

What is confusing about it? The tractor is set up for short haul, modest weight loads.

I'm not really familiar with curtainside trailers, but assume they are basically flatbeds with some protection from the weather / debris for the load.

After looking at the link posted, the company deals in mostly fiberglass truck caps, so those trucks don't haul much weight at all, and shows no need for a tandem axle truck.

Curtainsides can vary, but they are mostly a cross between a flatbed with a roof and a van trailer without sidewalls.

Define "short haul". To me short haul would be a day cab...

As a driver, most companies consider usually anything under 300 to 500 miles a short haul. They are just long enough to make a sleeper necessary for the return trip.

Weight too. The less tare weight you have, the more you can haul. Also, toll stations, most I've seen, charge by axle. In Europe, if you see a tandem alxe tractor, its usually for heavy haul, or speciall cargo. Alot of trailers there are curtain side too. Not sure if they are any lighter, but mostly its all about saving money.