Model Cars Magazine Forum

kit needed

m408

I have a problem that hopefully you guys can solve.

I build model cars. Not at all show quality, but good enough for me. I have an area that's just ripe for a little display. It is trapazoidal in size. Front is 28", left side 19", and right side 7". I would like to build a diorama to fit.

I have no imagination and very little skills, so scratch build is out. I guess if I had a set of plans I could make the attempt.

I'm thinking 50ish diner or drive in. Anything that I could stage a half dozen street rods around. One web site that I have tried has a couple of gas stations, but out of stock. Another has a drag strip, again out of stock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Milt

Why not Early Sunday Morning go in front of D&J's and take a Picture. Print it out large enough to cover the Wall and Park your Cars in front? What better palce to park Model Cars B)

Ed Erbeck Jr.

Formerly of Campbell Calif.

Slick idea Ed, really got me thinking.

Two problems though. Back wall is 28" and would take some custom panoramic enlargement and would still be just a picture. Also, cars would naturally be parked facing the store and I want to show engines. But....

Maybe an old time road run setting. Like a park setting with grass, trees, parking areas, and picknic tables etc. I'm sure that even with my slight skills, I could handle that. Scaling benches shouldn't be a problem and finding scaled accessories should be easy. My main problem will be learning how to paint figures. I guess if I use acrylics I can have a lot of "re-do"s while learning.

Thanks again.

Take a look here , SCALE EQUIPMENT they even have a ''how to'' area, and not that long ago there was a 50s or 60s ''drive -in'' kit , Tobys or something like that , cant remember , anything over an hour ago has left my brain........ :D

Thanks Ken,

I checked them out. No drive ins. Just a used car office. At $149.99 for the kit, way to pricey for me. Id have to sell a bunch of my cars just to break even.

They seem to have a large selection of diorama details that look really nice, and I'm sure that for the real diorama builders, they are a great source. However, for a one off guy like me, just out of my price range.

Take a look here , SCALE EQUIPMENT they even have a ''how to'' area, and not that long ago there was a 50s or 60s ''drive -in'' kit , Tobys or something like that , cant remember , anything over an hour ago has left my brain........ :P

The Drive-in kit is by the Seattle Dioarama and parts maker. I don't have his company name in front of me. It's some like Detail Designs, Design Details or something like that. He didn't have a website the last time I dealt with him. I have part of the Drive-in kit he marketed.

Thanks all,

My LHS has a big supply of styrene sheets with many molded in features. I think that I'm going to try my hand at a scratch build street rod car lot. Seems simple enough. Just trying to figure out what the exterior finish will be. Any suggestions?

What "molded-in" styrene did you buy? Brick, cinder block, wood slats...

Tell us what you have and maybe we can help.

Haven't bought any yet. They have all that you list, plus. I've got to do some reading up on finishing various textures before getting started, weathering wood effect, washes for bricks or cinder blocks, etc...

I hope gives you some inspiration.

129_2940-vi.jpg

129_2952-vi.jpg

That's really great. Just the kind of idea I was looking for. I just need to come up with something to fit my crazy shape. A used car lot would allow for most cars and should be fairly easy.

Reading? Shucks, what are we here for? Let us know what your interested in doing and I'm sure you'll get the know-how right here...

O.K. Mike,

Bricks. How do I get the multi hewed "old brick" effect? What to do for morter?

Wood siding. I have seen "wood" color paints, that are just a shade of brown. How to get a weathered effect?

Stucco. Main shade? Washes?

I count this and other forums as "reading". I am always looking through them for ideas.

Here goes:

Bricks-The most important thing is as you already mentioned, all bricks are not the same. I'll take different hues of magic markers and color each brick with different hues. Black, blue, orange red etc. You don't have to do "each" brick, just enough to vary the colors of the bricks. Once you have your "wall" colored with magic marker, now add your texture by spraying a light coat of white paint over the colored brick, sprinkle on some baking powder, shake the baking powder around on the wet paint and then turn the plastic over and remove the excess baking soda. Then spray your top coat of color (white paint for white brick, grey for grey and red oxide for red etc.). Spray just enough to cover the baking soda and enough so that you can still see different hues of each brick. tis method works great. Don't forget that your mortar is usually a medium grey and a few cracks in the mortar gives your wall "personality". Some light dustings of pastels will also help.

It is tough to see the different hues of cinder blocks in this pic but hopefully you will get an idea.

Garagecont-11.jpg

Wood: Get a product called "Weather-It" at your local hobby shop for aging wood. It is the best I've seen at aging wood. Just paint it on and it turns grey overnight. Add some pastel chalks of brown, black, grey etc and you have some realistic aged wood. You can get similar effects from thinning out some india ink and painting onto the wood (balsa or bass) but not as grey as the Weather-It.

This wall was done with a combination of India Ink, weather-it and some pastels:

halftrax002.jpg

Stucco: Your on your own here "M". I have never tried doing stucco work but I would probably start with

some plaster of paris painted onto a piece of plywood and then doing the same effects as real stucco is made....Good luck with that one.

Let us know how you make out.

Here is some more ideas:

garage2004012-1.jpg

The brick wall here is carved "drywall". The wood is similarly done as the above...Have fun with it.

Here goes:

Bricks-The most important thing is as you already mentioned, all bricks are not the same. I'll take different hues of magic markers and color each brick with different hues. Black, blue, orange red etc. You don't have to do "each" brick, just enough to vary the colors of the bricks. Once you have your "wall" colored with magic marker, now add your texture by spraying a light coat of white paint over the colored brick, sprinkle on some baking powder, shake the baking powder around on the wet paint and then turn the plastic over and remove the excess baking soda. Then spray your top coat of color (white paint for white brick, grey for grey and red oxide for red etc.). Spray just enough to cover the baking soda and enough so that you can still see different hues of each brick. tis method works great. Don't forget that your mortar is usually a medium grey and a few cracks in the mortar gives your wall "personality". Some light dustings of pastels will also help.

It is tough to see the different hues of cinder blocks in this pic but hopefully you will get an idea.

Garagecont-11.jpg

Wood: Get a product called "Weather-It" at your local hobby shop for aging wood. It is the best I've seen at aging wood. Just paint it on and it turns grey overnight. Add some pastel chalks of brown, black, grey etc and you have some realistic aged wood. You can get similar effects from thinning out some india ink and painting onto the wood (balsa or bass) but not as grey as the Weather-It.

This wall was done with a combination of India Ink, weather-it and some pastels:

halftrax002.jpg

Stucco: Your on your own here "M". I have never tried doing stucco work but I would probably start with

some plaster of paris painted onto a piece of plywood and then doing the same effects as real stucco is made....Good luck with that one.

Let us know how you make out.

Here is some more ideas:

garage2004012-1.jpg

The brick wall here is carved "drywall". The wood is similarly done as the above...Have fun with it.

WOW!!!

Thanks Mike for all of the help. Seems as though this wont be a simple as I thought. But what the heck, modeling is always about learning, right?

Another quick one for you guys. How do you handle dust problems? My little used car lot scene is going to be in an enclosed, covered area, (where a wine rack used to be). I could put some sliding plexi doors in front, but would rather leave it exposed.

My models are currently just sitting on shelves and get to look pretty grubby after some time. Right now, I just rinse them off in the sink and let air dry. Seems to work so far, but there must be a better way.

Milt,

A few years back, MRC had a gas station kit. The station was about 10"X15" built. They made a Texaco and a Joe's station, I think. Both kits were the same except for the decals. The kit had all kinds of stuff with it. There were gas pumps with an island, oil can racks w/little cans, a floor jack, a lift, compressor and a bunch of other related items that I can't think of right now.

It's a kit. Everything has to be assembled and painted. It's a pretty darn good starting point, if you don't think you are ready to dive into scratch-building yet. They were not real cheap though. About $50.00-$60.00 when first released. You might try Ebay. If you don't have any luck. I think I have one around here somewhere, that I'm planning to work on one of these days. I would rather hang on to it but, if you want one and can't find one anywhere else. I'll let mine go.

If you don't want to go that route, Fujimi made a garage kit. It was just two or three walls. I think two and a floor. It doesn't come with anything though. They made a separate kit called "Tools" with all the stuff to go in it. There was a kit for a modern garage and one that they called an "Antique Garage". I've not seen the antique kit, so I don't know what it's like.

I hope this is some help to you. If you decide that you want the service station and want to get in touch with me, I'm at 60Desoto@comcast.net. Good Luck.

REX

WOW!!!

Thanks Mike for all of the help. Seems as though this wont be a simple as I thought. But what the heck, modeling is always about learning, right?

Another quick one for you guys. How do you handle dust problems? My little used car lot scene is going to be in an enclosed, covered area, (where a wine rack used to be). I could put some sliding plexi doors in front, but would rather leave it exposed.

My models are currently just sitting on shelves and get to look pretty grubby after some time. Right now, I just rinse them off in the sink and let air dry. Seems to work so far, but there must be a better way.

Milt,

A few years back, MRC had a gas station kit. The station was about 10"X15" built. They made a Texaco and a Joe's station, I think. Both kits were the same except for the decals. The kit had all kinds of stuff with it. There were gas pumps with an island, oil can racks w/little cans, a floor jack, a lift, compressor and a bunch of other related items that I can't think of right now.

It's a kit. Everything has to be assembled and painted. It's a pretty darn good starting point, if you don't think you are ready to dive into scratch-building yet. They were not real cheap though. About $50.00-$60.00 when first released. You might try Ebay. If you don't have any luck. I think I have one around here somewhere, that I'm planning to work on one of these days. I would rather hang on to it but, if you want one and can't find one anywhere else. I'll let mine go.

If you don't want to go that route, Fujimi made a garage kit. It was just two or three walls. I think two and a floor. It doesn't come with anything though. They made a separate kit called "Tools" with all the stuff to go in it. There was a kit for a modern garage and one that they called an "Antique Garage". I've not seen the antique kit, so I don't know what it's like.

I hope this is some help to you. If you decide that you want the service station and want to get in touch with me, I'm at 60Desoto@comcast.net. Good Luck

REX

Hey Rex,

Yep I've seen them. Actually, good price, $39.00. They were my first choice, but both were "out of stock" with no new issue date. Thanks for the offer of the station but I think that I'm going with the used car lot idea. Not too tough to do and will allow me to put out a bunch of cars out at one time. And, can recycle them as my skills improve.

This is my first attempt at a diorama and I'm really looking forward to trying something new. I already have plans to add some figures checking out the cars etc.. Of course that will entail learning how to paint and pose them, but what the heck, this is all just a hobby to me. A great way to eat up spare time, learn something new, and see a result at the end of my work.

Thanks again,

Milt