1/25 AMT '49 Mercury 2 Door Club Coupe

70 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looks like AMT went retro with the Trophy Series box art on this one:

AMT654-2.jpg?1346244545

Posted · Report post

I might have to pass on this one, I haven't finished mine from the last reissue.

Posted · Report post

hopefully it will have those whitewall tires..

Posted (edited) · Report post

That is very nice to see AMT Mercury in new box too. I might get one of these, it would make very cool Gasser. I have one in the works, and I've chopped it so it'll be Custom. That box looks fantastic, it is already one good reason why to buy that kit. Oh, and I also hope that there are all of those Custom parts still inside the box. And yes, those white walls would be great.

Edited by W-409

Posted · Report post

Neat retro box art.

Posted · Report post

I'm passing on it this time. I still have 8 0r 10 left, 6 from the Michaels release where they sold for $7.00 a kit I also have the '37 Chevy coupe, & the '49 Ford & '34 Ford that were in the same release. Someday I think I might even open a couple to see what's in the box. lol

Posted · Report post

hopefully it will have those whitewall tires..

I wonder if the original did. I have a built up original, complete w/ the box w/ box art similar to this, but it has black wall tires. I've got one reissue (from about 10 years ago or so). I may have to snag another to use as an engine donor for the upcoming Revell wagon.

Posted · Report post

Didn't the original issue have Cadillac hubcaps ?

Posted · Report post

I may have to snag another to use as an engine donor for the upcoming Revell wagon.

Doesn't this kit have the wire axle running through the engine block?

Posted · Report post

If only they'd reissued the Cruisin USA edition with the rub on dry decals and the prismatic tape and moulded in maroon..

Posted · Report post

I wonder if the original did. I have a built up original, complete w/ the box w/ box art similar to this, but it has black wall tires.

I don't think Round2 has any wide whitewalls in their updated tampo-printed whitewall tire lineup, and IIRC when I bought the late '80s Customizing Series version (with the putty and "tools"), it included some narrow tampo-printed whitewall tires.

Posted · Report post

does anyone have the box art for other issues of this model? the new box looks just like i remember the old, original box art from when i was a kid. i wasnt aware that it had been issued in various forms over the years, though of course it seems logical. thanks!

Posted · Report post

Here is the 49 Merc from 2002. Also, the 49 Ford has a seperate front suspension, no axle through the block. Not sure on the 50. I just looked at my 49 kit, so am right on that one. If anyone has a spare jack and tire iron from the 49 Merc, pm me.

post-136-0-75548400-1351762565_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

does anyone have the box art for other issues of this model? the new box looks just like i remember the old, original box art from when i was a kid. i wasnt aware that it had been issued in various forms over the years, though of course it seems logical. thanks!

It's about the same as the original issues- it has gained some finned Offy heads and a custom bar grille with a screen background since then. As far as I know, it still has all the original custom parts in additon.

Posted · Report post

Casey

I don't think Round2 has any wide whitewalls in their updated tampo-printed whitewall tire lineup, and IIRC when I bought the late '80s Customizing Series version (with the putty and "tools"), it included some narrow tampo-printed whitewall tires.

AMT-PP-002-2.jpg

What about these?

Posted · Report post

What about these?

I was thinking of the very wide whitewalls which are similar in width to what is shown on the box art above or what is shown on the new Revell '50 Olds box, where the white area extends from the rim to almost the tread. Not sure if those are called full or wide whitewalls, or something else.

Hopefully AMT includes a set of tires from that parts pack with this kit.

Posted · Report post

thanks, thats an interesting site too.

Posted · Report post

The original had black wall tires.I have it with the drag slicks I tried to paint back in the day. They finally dried about twenty years later. This is now fifty years later and they are very yellow (still in the box). Richard

Posted · Report post

The '49 and '50 Fords have separate suspension, yes, but they still have a metal axle passing through the engine.

@jbwelda, here are some of the other Merc boxes: http://www.thedpmcc....-1941-1950.html

No sir, you are wrong. I have looked inside my 49 Ford kit. NO metal front axle. 2 small plastic pins for the front. You can argue all day, I am right. Tomorrow I will post a pic.

Posted · Report post

No sir, you are wrong. I have looked inside my 49 Ford kit. NO metal front axle. 2 small plastic pins for the front. You can argue all day, I am right. Tomorrow I will post a pic.

Actually you're both correct, the older runs of both kits did indeed have the ole axle through the block, at some point AMT tooled up new blocks and the front suspension pins.

Posted · Report post

I was thinking of the very wide whitewalls which are similar in width to what is shown on the box art above or what is shown on the new Revell '50 Olds box, where the white area extends from the rim to almost the tread. Not sure if those are called full or wide whitewalls, or something else.

Hopefully AMT includes a set of tires from that parts pack with this kit.

the ones on the box photo are the ones in the parts pack, they just look different due to the artistry.

Posted · Report post

Here is the 49 Merc from 2002. Also, the 49 Ford has a seperate front suspension, no axle through the block. Not sure on the 50. I just looked at my 49 kit, so am right on that one. If anyone has a spare jack and tire iron from the 49 Merc, pm me.

that is the version that Michaels sold for $7.00 a kit, wish I had bought more than the one case.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The original had black wall tires.I have it with the drag slicks I tried to paint back in the day. They finally dried about twenty years later. This is now fifty years later and they are very yellow (still in the box). Richard

No one told us about enamels not drying on those old vinyl tires back then, & I really don't think acrylic paints were around to alleviate the problem. I dug out an old '40 Ford I did when they first came out, & the whitewalls done in the old Testors/Pactra (I don't remember which), still are tacky to the touch & have that lovely old yellow patina to them.

Edited by horsepower

Posted · Report post

Actually you're both correct, the older runs of both kits did indeed have the ole axle through the block, at some point AMT tooled up new blocks and the front suspension pins.

Thanks for the clarification, my newest one is probably nearly 20 years old. :)