Model Cars Magazine Forum

what is flocking? help?

• 1 month later...

I'm going to commit a slight act of threadomancy here, but I just ordered some flocking off of Ebay...it is listed as Velvet Flocking Powder For Velvet Manicure Nail Art Polish (who knew they had such a thing?)

I've only seen about 13 colors, but at $1.69 each + free shipping, it was worth a shot...will post pics when it comes in.

I'm going to commit a slight act of threadomancy here, but I just ordered some flocking off of Ebay...it is listed as Velvet Flocking Powder For Velvet Manicure Nail Art Polish (who knew they had such a thing?)

I've only seen about 13 colors, but at $1.69 each + free shipping, it was worth a shot...will post pics when it comes in.

I've just had a look on eBay, and that looks just the same as regular flocking, might even pop in an order for myself, plenty of colours to choose from ...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the most cost effective product to use to simulate flocking ? Being on Social Security Disability Income I need to save a penny here or there anywhere I can ha ha. Is there another product like maybe glitter or something else along those lines that may be cheaper then persay the actual "Flocking"? Thanks in advance for any info.

What is the most cost effective product to use to simulate flocking ? Being on Social Security Disability Income I need to save a penny here or there anywhere I can ha ha. Is there another product like maybe glitter or something else along those lines that may be cheaper then persay the actual "Flocking"? Thanks in advance for any info.

A lot of guys will tell you embossing powder is good, but I don't like the grainy, floor mat texture of it. I'm working with disability as well. If you need a particular color I may be able to help you out. P.M. me.

Excellent vid Tom, thanks for posting.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

• 3 weeks later...

I'm experimenting using wood putty. Ok, I've never done any flocking as of yet and I'm cheap. I'm not willing to buy flocking if I'm not good at applying it, so I've come up with an alternative solution... err maybe. I've taken some wood putty and mixed in some paint and got it to the color I want. then I spread it out on a flat sheet of plastic or anything smooth and let it dry. Once dry, I scrape it up and crumble/smash/etc... it in to fine powder. then I have a fine powder in the color I want. I haven't compared it to actual flocking but, I think it could have some use...

I don't typially see flocking at Mchaels (at least in the area where I live)...most of it is embossing powder. Joann's used to carry flocking but put it all on clearance. I bought everything they had, but only time will tell whether I will ever use some of the colors. Ebay has quite a bit of flocking options but I have had a hard time trying to find a "tan" that I like.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of or tried using nail flocking. It looks like its big in japan, but it's being sold as velvet nail flocking and apparently salons apply it to finger nails like you would in your model cars interior. The only reason I ask is because it looks exactly like our model car flocking and half the price. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.