Model Cars Magazine Forum

70s Street Freak

I have been trying to research "Street Freaks" from the 70s. I can not find that much info, but from what I can find they look pretty cool. I was born in '75 so I really do not remember seeing cars like that on the road. Actually in my area .. northern VA I never really saw a lot of modded cars. When I was 5 or 6 I could identify any car on the road, and by the time I was old enough to buy my own Hot Rod magazines in the mid 80s it was the age of monochrome and pastel colored cars with a different look, and later on Pro-Street

My question is, does the front end have to be raised up to be considered a Street Freak?

The common denominator seems to be a 60s or 70s car with a wild forced induction system, Big rear tires, Cragars, Daisy wheels, or Centerlines, and Flames or Yellow/Orange Grpahics, or almost lowrider-esqe panel graphics.

What generally happens to a customized car once the trend is no longer fashionable? Do people generally try to turn it into something else? or are there garages full of Pro-street, pastel colored hot rods just waiting for it to be cool again? What will happen to all the pro touring cars people built? Where do all the out of style wheels end up? What happened to all those Billet wheels from the 80s and 90s ?

Would the The good old Monogram Camaro z/28 be a street freak right out of the box? (yeah I know the kit has issues but it is just plain fun to build)

Many of those cars --those which survived the ravages of time and the elements-- became too valuable to collectors in the 80's . Then , those more "common" cars ( 340 Darts / Dusters ; 383 Super Bee / Road Runner ; 350 Nova ; 396 Chevelle ; etc. , etc. ) were then preyed-upon and turned into *shudder* Pro Street *shudder* and other grotesque customs .

Now even -those- cars are too valuable these days !

Thank God the billet craze is over for the most part . Those ugly Boyd's wheels belong only in the recycling bin along with "blade" wheels (think : Monogram's 1970 Buick GSX custom) .

The 80's was a horrible time in the custom realm . Monochrome, blacked-out brightwork , ugly wheels and gross paintjobs belong in the history books and not in the 1:1 realm !

Now , 70's Street Freaks were *typically* retired Gassers (more so out here in the west) , retired Super Stock , F/X , etc. , or other dirt cheap 5-15 year old vehicles (remember that the 21st Octobre 1973 OPEC stunt scared the hell out of people ; and rising gas prices combined with ever-falling octane ratings --vis-a-vis removal of tetraethyl lead-- , only furthered the desire for people to offload their fuel-thirsty Muscle Cars).

These cars were modified as no one would ever imagine that they'd become collectable .

I grew up in the 70's and 80's ( I was born in 1970 ) , and was living a stone's throw away from the Whittier Boulevard scene , so I vividly remember seeing these Freaks on a daily basis .

Keep in mind that for a street freak you aren't constrained by NHRA rules, I don't think any of the cars pictured would be legal even in a gasser class because the front ends are too high. The NHRA rulebook limited cars to a height of 24 inches at the centerline of the crankshaft but for a street car get the nose high and rear down and go crazy.

I know a guy who has had a 1:1 full show street freak 460 powered Pinto hatch mothballed since the late 70s so there are deff some survivors out there. This one was all for show, crazy paneled paint and tons of chrome and a sky high straight axled front end, a really neat-o lookin old show car.

The whole Street Freak thing was about cars that were "over the top". We were trying to copy the drag racers so the guys wanted that gasser look. Straight axles, blowers, drag shutes, you name it. A friend of mine actualy ran Hilborn injection on his 65 'Vette big block, what a nightmare that was! The whole Pro Street thing was the next phase, trying to look like the Pro Stock cars.

Kurth, there was only one Street Freak in Northern Virginia in the late '60s and early '70s that I knew of. A bright yellow 1964 Chevy II called "Wild Child" jacked up on all fours, running street legal skinnies on the front and barely legal cheaters on the rear. You could find the car parked in the Edison HS student parking lot during the day.

I do know he took out a stop sign on Glebe Rd one day, but don't know what eventually happened to the car.

Look for the magazines that is called street freaks, i think thats the name i will look, and by the way not all of them had straight axles under the front, i was born in the 60s , and my 71 nova i had, had the airshocks all the way up, with the big tires, chromed out engine, i loved those cars, never was into pro street. As for the old pro street cars, look under indiana craigslist theres a few of them that there trying to get rid of and cant and there cheap.