Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Beetle

revshag

My father-in-law recently got back into HO model trains. He got this Bug for the display. It's an 1:87 scale diecast. He owned a Bug back in the day and asked me to repaint it to replicate his 1:1. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned using fingernail polish. He found the nail polish and he says it's almost an exact match to the way he remembers it. I know green was a popular color in the 60's but it's scary to think you can find this color in nail polish!

Anyway, here's the before as I had disassembled but not yet stripped it:

SDC12469-1.jpg

After stripping the paint, I polished it with 000 steel wool and then airbrushed right over the metal. I BMF'd the lights and trim (if you thought it was a pain in 1/25, try it in 1/87!)

I've been in a bit of a building funk so it felt good to get this knocked out pretty quick.

Here's the finished product:

SDC12531.jpg

SDC12535.jpg

Nice Work! The stock one had two sets of front turn signals!

If they want more HO-scale cars, Walls Mart has some by their Hot Wheels section, I can't remember what they are called, but they have some sort of goofy name on them, but the cars are good quality for about $2 each.