Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need advice on Tamiya 1/20 Formula1 builds

I have been absent from modeling for about 15 years and decided to take it up again. I used to build WW1 and WW2 aircraft but now my interest is in 1/20 scale Formula 1 cars from the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s. Over the last few months I have purchased hobby supplies including my first ever airbrush and built a large illuminated workbench in my home. I now have the following Tamiya 1/20 scale kits:

McLaren Honda MP4/5B

Williams Renault FW 13B

Jordan 191

Benetton Ford B192

Lotus Ford 107B

Braun Tyrrell Honda 020

Is one of these kits a better choice for me to start with for my first build than another? In other words are they all at the same level of skill required to build or is one kit any easier (less complex) than another? Or is there any of these kits I should not start with for my first build? Or perhaps I should start with another brand/scale of Formula 1 kit to get some practice and gain some skill before tackling the Tamiya kits? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your advice.

The nice thing about Tamiya kits is that they all build.very nicely. Some of the older F1 kits might have fewer pieces than the newer kits. I suggest building the older kits first. As you get comfortable you can start adding detail-up parts like photo etch parts and.carbon fiber decals. I recently bought the Ferrari F1-2000 at a swap show for 30 bucks. But The money I saved, I put towards the Top Studio Super Detail Kit for the f1-2000. There are tons of aftermarket parts for Tamiya and Hasegawa F1-2000 kits.

Good luck!

Edited by sportandmiah