Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Duce 32 Ford

I'm hoping there is someone familiar with this kit. I'm building the large kit 3-1 Ford- the one with the Big Duce / Hi-Boy / Rat Rod options. I'm building the Hi-Boy engine, 3 - 1 barrel set up. I would like to do the full carburetor linkage. I'm having a hard time finding examples of the linkage in my searches. The carbs (3) in the kit do not appear to be stock Ford type. If anyone can tell me the type carbs (Rochester etc) the replica kit parts are- it may help my search. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can find a diagram of the proper 3-1 barrel linkage.

There seem to be more than just a few parts that are included in the kit that are not in the directions for any of the optional builds. I've identified what seem to be door lock s and some others. Anyone find this also and maybe help identify some of them.?

I like this kit even with a few minor errors in the instructions. I can deal with that but I wish they had included a battery and more of the carb linkage. I have the kit linkage installed but the set up from the carb with the springs and linkage arms etc is what I'm interested in. I want to get close to as right as I can. I haven't built a big kit like this since the 80's when I hacked together the big 1/8 Corvette that I wish I still had.

The tires in the Big Duce kit leave a lot to be desired- that IMO is the worst thing about the kit. They are inconsistant and have a couple bulges and thin spots-- anyone else have this prob??????? Some of the tread is taller than other rings of tread next to it.

This is on the outside edge of the tread pattern.on more than one tire . On a 1 to 10 mine are about a 5. So for the $80 to $100 that someone might pay for the kit- it's not good to have jacked up tires. But I'm handling it I figured out how to fix the bulgees by lining the inside of the tire with chrome duct tape and then pushing in on the buldge from the outside. It took about 80% of the buldge away. Either way I'm most interested with getting the carb linkage down-- Thanks all.......

Sorry if there is already a thread on this that I haven't seen here yet. I was in a hurry and just jumped on here to get the good info.

Edited by Fender

Here are some photos of a 1:1 Stromberg carb:

lores9701-vi.jpg

lores9702-vi.jpg

lores9703-vi.jpg

lores9704-vi.jpg

Here's the setup I made for the Monogram Big T:

( I did a full article on how to build this set up but it was in that "other" magazine. )

lowrestromberg01-vi.jpg

lowrestromberg02-vi.jpg

And here's the linkage on my 1:1 hot rod. (These are Holley carbs, not Strombergs, but the linkage is the same)

100902-vi.jpg

Edited by 2002p51

Here are some photos of a 1:1 Stromberg carb:

lores9701-vi.jpg

lores9702-vi.jpg

lores9703-vi.jpg

lores9704-vi.jpg

Here's the setup I made for the Monogram Big T:

( I did a full article on how to build this set up but it was in that "other" magazine. )

lowrestromberg01-vi.jpg

lowrestromberg02-vi.jpg

And here's the linkage on my 1:1 hot rod. (These are Holley carbs, not Strombergs, but the linkage is the same)

100902-vi.jpg

which issue was this in?

Thanks Casey- I took care of it.

I'm going to follow my build a bit on here in case someone is doing a 1/8 big Duce.. I think I should post some of the stuff I've figured out on my own. They don't put every detail in the instructions and only some experience has saved me.

When building the front steering components and installing idler arms and spindle tops, brake drums ,etc- care should be taken as to make sure the camber and caster are correct and to NOT glue the brake drums to the spindle assy. . the grease cap will hold everything snug so the tires will roll . I put the tierod in place in the idler arm holes to keep things in proper angles while I worked on the steering- even though the directions don't call for doing that. I haven't done the rear drums and axle yet but I'm pretty sure it is designed to roll. Like I said there's no mention of what to glue specifically and what not to glue in the rolling stock . The instructions just show the placement of the parts. I'm makeing sure I test fit everything.

Another thing is the scale of the brake tubing, oil tubing and fuel lines in relation to the scale of the rest of the kit. They look too big- I'm doing my best with matching up what looks in scale by checking out all my parts box solder. plastic rod, mini shrink tube etc.. One trick is to use a guitar string and shrink the mini tube down on it for small oil lines. I can also shrink the mini tube down on solder for good in scale looking results.

This kit is fun to build. I'll prob do the big Fiat Dragster after I'm done with the Big Duce HiBoy RatRod. The Fiat is hanging out over on the shelf in the Man Cave.

Edited by Fender

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay the fast food syndrome is upon this thread and I now give thanks for all the help. I know this is a photo driven site fer sure but I'm either too lazy to take pics of the build or my camera blows. I'll go with the camera thing. Once I get that down I'll post the pics but the truth is- I think most want to see the guys' stuff on here who are the "super builders" who have devoted themselves to producing extreme replicas.that "wow" the public. I must say those guys are on here !!!! My skills aren't quite up to that though!!! :D

• 5 years later...