Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hour Build During the Race: C5R - First Model Ever

GTmike400

Finally finished my very first model ever. I was in with Bob, Matt, and Wayne for the 24 Heur du Mans build. I chose to build a C5R. When I went to look for the kit I couldnt find one, but luckily a fellow builder had one so I started all my prep at the beginning of the race and finally finished 20 hours later.

Here are a couple quick shoots of a pretty decent build. Nothing spectacular, but good for a first.

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

I need some more front pics.

I can vouch for it being his first plastic kit. We coached him on the paint; the C5R body is smooth enough to require little sanding of mold lines before paint, and he micromeshed the areas he sanded. Tamiya spray over white shiny plastic resulted in a stupendous finish. So good that we were jealous :(

DSC_20201_edited-vi.jpg

DSC_20231_edited-vi.jpg

So jealous that we pulled a bit of a prank on him.

While Mike was upstairs we took this picture to make it look like we were going to sand it with a heavy duty sanding stick and pour superglue on the roof.

DSC_20381_edited-vi.jpg

Then the host decided to take his half-stripped black/silver Goodwrench predecorated body and spray the Tamiya yellow on it.

DSC_20401_edited-vi.jpg

Then we switched them in the dehydrator :twisted:

We had an 18 year old heart attack victim :shock: :D

DSC_20391_edited-vi.jpg

Gregg is king of the pranks at GSL. He would be soooo proud you guys!!!!

Very nice! :D:D:D

Mikey pulled a pretty good prank on me a couple months ago, so now we're even :twisted: . I have a WIP Miata coupe concept, we were working on a Sunday afternoon in the same workshop, and I was in the other room doing some decal artwork on the computer. I returned to the workshop and saw my Miata transformed into a donk with a huge and horrific home-brew GT wing on it, riding really high on scale 30's (or bigger) :shock: :lol: All I could do was totally ignore it. I didn't say a word :lol: I don't know if they got a picture of it or not. I guess if they did I'm going to have to show it :shock: :roll:

Mikey pulled a pretty good prank on me a couple months ago, so now we're even :twisted: . I have a WIP Miata coupe concept, we were working on a Sunday afternoon in the same workshop, and I was in the other room doing some decal artwork on the computer. I returned to the workshop and saw my Miata transformed into a donk with a huge and horrific home-brew GT wing on it, riding really high on scale 30's (or bigger) :shock: :lol: All I could do was totally ignore it. I didn't say a word :lol: I don't know if they got a picture of it or not. I guess if they did I'm going to have to show it :shock: :roll:

Lets see, they were 22" 1:18 wheels, so in 1/24 scale that would be 29" wheels.

I didnt even think to get a picture of it. I should have though.

That was your FIRST build???

Gee I wish my first ever build came out even a 1/4 as good as yours!!..............And I was about your age when I built my very first model as a senior in high school in '78!

That's a very, very impressive first result!

Keep up the good work!

• 9 years later...