Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Frame is getting there


I decided to fab a hitch mount too, more on that later..


Then came time to figure out a motor........and I had this die-cast cement mixer laying around......


And it just happen to have an in-line turbo diesel engine.....


Now originally i was going to attempt to turn the stock 5.3 LS motor into a 6.6 Duramax, but this is modeling....so it's looking like a Cummins swap!


Edited by Pullin Gears
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys!

Todd-I'm not sure what scale the mixer is, but it's definitely not 1/24 ! I will save the wheels and as many other parts as I can off of it for future projects though!

I got the motor mocked up...


It's gonna be a tight fit, but I think i can make it work.


So I pulled it apart and shot everything red


Then came time to detail it!


In the photo above, I have covered the valve cover in aluminum duct foil, and I'm beginning to black-wash it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the finished valve cover and intake manifold:


A little detail painting and some foiling goes a long way


The motor is starting to look less like a toy!


I also cut, bent, and modified the piping for the intercooler, as well as painting it body color:


Then I made the exhaust down-pipe for the 5 inch turbo back exhaust. It's "heat wrapped" with masking tape


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Everyone

Chris- Unfortunately there are no resin Cummins or Duramax diesel engines that I know of

James- The lowered Chevy is in body shop prison! It's been painted, I decided on a little bit louder color.........going to be a surprise until I get it polished!

Back to Big Red:


I added some Diamond Plate to the front bumper along with a brush guard for the grill and headlights


Shot it semi-gloss black, added a MD vanity plate, and some paper clip tow hooks


Then I wrapped up the interior, kept it simple sine the windows are tinted:


I added a flip out monitor, custom gear-shift, and some body color inserts


Seat inserts were done in flat black to represent suede


And of course there is a Monster Energy Drink in the cup holder!

Edited by Pullin Gears
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After I finished the Interior, it was time to work on the frame:


I used semi-gloss truck bed-coat, I had to give Big Red train horns too!


Then I worked on getting the engine, trans, exhaust, and mounts to line up


Hood clearance became an issue......


Nothing a little trimming couldn't fix!


I'm getting somewhere now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you like it Caleb!

I painted and detailed the stack:


And finalized the hole in the bed along with "sticker bombing" part of the single-piece rear window that I turned into a three-piece slider with the help of some electrical tape:


The third brake light is 1-1 trailer reflective tape:


Also got the hitch finished up:


And painted the differentials


Then the motor went in!




One more sneak peak:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree. Looking really good.

I need to ask of a favor if permitted. I'll be working on a 99 Silverado very soon that I flame on lowering. If possible, I would like to see how you did your frame work so I go about this the right way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the compliments guys! They keep me inspired on builds like this that seem to drag on forever! As usual college and life has kept me from the bench, but I did manage to get Big Red finished!


The wheels off the lowered one came from a Jada Diescast 1951 Mercury.

The swampers are from SoReal Concepts. They scale out to 44 inch tires. I sanded the tread, painted the wheels black, and added valve stems. Occasionally they turn up on ebay:



Diesel Power Mag inspired parts of the build!


I changed my mind on the single cab conversion, but i did buy a third Silverado kit so eventually I'll cut one up!


I don't think would call what I did the "right way" to lower a truck because it is not realistic or accurate to a 1:1 but hear are some pictures anyway:


Up front I cut apart the kit control arms and mounted them directly to the frame/ cross-member.


Out back i fabricates a sort of four link using the stock rear and control arms made from evergreeen tube which I highlighted with blue dots for you:


I have not added bags yet, and I may not. I would be a ROUGH ride! but "aired-out" the rear contacts the frame.( I cut the bump stops off) I did not want to go any lower on this build because a C-notch would have to be fabricated and the stock gas tank would have to removed/relocated:


I hope these help, keep in mind the ends of the control arms will also get tabs so they will look more "finished."


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...