Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 scratch built rigs

the first pic is of an well drilling rig here in my hometown. It's a Crane Carrier frame with an Ingersol Rand T4 drilling tower. 99% scratchbuilt except for the wheels and tires.

the crane was an old Crane carrier frame in Knoxville TN they were going to demolish/recycle. I took photos and measurements and started out with evergreen stock. Again 99% scratchbuilt except for wheels and tires.

the last pic is of another Crane carrier rig and drilling tower i saw out in the sandhills of Wyoming around Tensleep way back in 1977. again pics taken, measurements made and evergreen to the rescue. only tires and wheels from a kit.

I guess you've figured out I like Crane Carrier rigs. :D

post-10788-0-73708800-1352474849_thumb.j

post-10788-0-17586000-1352474927_thumb.j

post-10788-0-32740000-1352474960_thumb.p

here's a few more pics of that last one, the drill rig. I appreciate the comments. Last week I took this model to an IPMS show but a NASCAR model beat me out. Unfortunately the club who ran the contest had to heavy commercial category. Last year, the blue drill rig from Wyoming got beat by a fish! :wacko: It looked great airbrushed and real.

the actual rig is this one.

post-10788-0-74651600-1352503308_thumb.j

post-10788-0-83173900-1352503353_thumb.j

post-10788-0-16219400-1352503402_thumb.j

post-10788-0-34439900-1352503593_thumb.j

Edited by skysoldier46

Thanks for the tip on photoBucket!!! I don'y knmow why I didn't think of that way earlier.

Here's a couple of early models I did from the released Mack truck. I call my blue trucks the Sagebrush Oil Well Drilling Co.

The Waukesha engine is totally scratch built but the models themselves are pretty much out of the box. I did open up the hoods and detailed the engines on all of them.

I just love old trucks and unusual trucks. I remember seeing some of Mark Savage's rigs a long time ago and that got me hooked, I went away from tanks and airplanes.

That drill rig in the earlier pic took 2d place at the IPMS show in Murfreesboro TN last Saturday. I got beat out by a NASCAR model which had a lot of aftermarket items on it. the club who sponsored the show for 4 years now has not opened a Heavy Commercial category to my dismay. :(

A good modeling buddy of mine John Mahaffey out of Memphis TN builds pretty unique old stuff too. Anyone know John?

http://i5.photobucke...ldRigs003-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucke...ieldRigs006.jpg

http://i5.photobucke...05_edited-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Skysoldier46/006-2.png, this is the engine of that blue well drill rig. It's an old Continental

Edited by skysoldier46

Amazing builds,I remeber them very much from the IPMS show,I'm actually in the club that hosts it. I have been trying to get the guys who run the club to have more specific catagorys than automotive,so that way it evens the playing field a little better.This was by far my favorite build there,the amount of work that went into it is jaw droping.

here's a few more pics of that last one, the drill rig. I appreciate the comments. Last week I took this model to an IPMS show but a NASCAR model beat me out. Unfortunately the club who ran the contest had to heavy commercial category. Last year, the blue drill rig from Wyoming got beat by a fish! :wacko: It looked great airbrushed and real.

the actual rig is this one.

Yea your waisting time taking builds like this to an IPMS show if its not military they realy don't care about judging it.

I speak my mind and I will say the judges must have been dumb to the fact that these are very nice and detailed SCRATCH BUILT models.

Thats true model building at its best.

Job well done on these.

I appreciate the comments Austin and Earl. yep they do need another category for heavy commercial but granted there wasn't that many of us guys there this year or last year. I still go tho and bring my stuff. I just like the fact that maybe it would influence others to try their hands at this sort of build. if you can grab one kids attention with it then it is worth the effort to build and show.

Thanks. I think I enjoy doing detail work more than cutting plastic.

Here's a couple more pics of the crane carrier drill rig in progress I took.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Skysoldier46/DSC05339.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Skysoldier46/DSC05335.jpg

Edited by skysoldier46

it would have been great if they had a seperate heavy commercial category for your builds. very nice work indeed. if your work looks as good on the table as it does in the pics then you would do well up here in this ipms region. i would love to see them in person one day at a show......again, great work.

Yea your waisting time taking builds like this to an IPMS show if its not military they realy don't care about judging it.

I speak my mind and I will say the judges must have been dumb to the fact that these are very nice and detailed SCRATCH BUILT models.

Thats true model building at its best.

Job well done on these.

you would be totally wrong in saying that an ipms show is all about military. i happen to compete in six different states throughout each year and the majority are ipms shows.......i have yet to walk out of one of those shows without an award. in fact i've been up for best in show at several of them.........

i build a little of everything but my main builds are heavy commercial and automotive, so this blows your theory away that ipms is military only. just because something is scratchbuilt or loaded with aftermarket does not mean it will win.....ipms or not.

if you are going to bad mouth the ipms then maybe you should start competing and learn what makes a winning model. i don't agree with your comment about the judges being "dumb" either............if the judging was done by armor, aircraft or ship builders then trust me.....they know what makes a winning model. those guys eat, sleep and breathe how to build great models.

sorry for the rant but it's offensive to us ipms members when all we hear is how bad the ipms shows are......especially from people who don't even compete.