Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the Richard Petty guys....

roadhawg

There is ONE Richard Petty car I want to build....an '80 Pontiac Lemans LMS car that he ran ONE time in Aseboro NC. I can only find a couple of pictures of the car, and they aren't very clear. Kyle also ran it a few times with 42 on it, but the 43 only ran once. Here is the car:

IMG_0003a.jpg

Now...does anyone know what that sponsor is on the quarter panel? I can make out "Hogan", but thats about it, and this is the clearest picture I have. I guess I could build the model without the quarter panel lettering, but I'd like to do it right.

Or if you have any more pictures of this car, that'd be cool too! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I saw this car run once, I think at the (old) Richmond Raceway in Richmond, Va. back around 1982. I'll take a look at home (over the weekend) and see if I have any photos of the car.

Being a Petty fan, I'm sure I do.

I think Kyle drove it that day. If I do I'll be glad to post a copy.

This car was built on a platform very similar to the Dart Sportsman from the mid seventies. In fact IIRC they were almost identical, although I would have to check with Richard to be sure. It was run in only a handfull of LMS events in one year only.

1980STPPontiacLeMans.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

As for the Hogan sponsor, your guess is as good as mine, but i'll give him a call and see what I can find out. :)

In those years, Richard Petty was involved in politics, even was elected to an office (can't remember what, maybe county commisioner??) I think the 1/4 panel says Hogan for Governor or Congress. There was a Hogan that ran for both positions.

Thinking Petty was just helping promote the candidate. Cool car.

Thanks so much, guys, I do believe thats it. Blowing the picture up it does indeed look like "Hogan For Governor". Now all I have to do is "backdate" an MCW '81 Lemans body to an '80.

By the way, the car itself is an ex-Butch Lindley car and was built by Mike Laughlin. I'm not sure of the reasons why the Pettys bought it, maybe they needed a sportsman car right away or something. They were not as successful as Lindley was with it though, lol.

Hey Good Sir, could you please tell me who the driver is of the late model on your profile avatar as well as if its a Super Late Model or a Limited Late Model ? What tracks does this car run at ?

That is the late Buck Simmons, from Baldwin GA., probably the best late model dirt track driver in history. He won 1026 races, the first in 1961 at age 14, and the last in 2009. Buck passed away last year, and that particular car...the one he got his 1000th win in...was restored and put in the Georgia Auto Racing Hall Of Fame, in Dawsonville GA. He was one of my racing heros.

Edited by roadhawg

love to see more pix of this car

As far as the Petty car, the pictures you see here are all I have in Petty Colors, but I have several when it was Lindley's car....here's a couple:

imagesCAQYZIE1_zps918d355b.jpg

182025_142546669143653_100001649634548_2

And a great picture of the two Kings....Richard Petty and the king of short tracks, Butch Lindley...

RichardPettyButchLindley_zps44c65e88.jpg

Now I DO have a picture of another obscure Petty sportsman car that he raced in the mid 80s, but because it has Budwieser lettering it leads me to believe that Petty didn't actually ownn it, just maybe drove it in a few events...

RichardPettySTPShorttrack_zps5c81f2c9.jp

judging from the lines on the rear quarters - is that a olds ciera maybe a cutlass calais

i love seeing these strange cars , any one else want to post more?

I am going to build this LMS car out of a grand prix kit soon watch for updates

I think you're right, it looks like a 80s Cutlass Calais with a Camaro nose. Good luck with your project, I'll be looking forward to seeing it.